ASL AQ 1002 PP KT88 problem with input stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2011, 06:38 PM   #1
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ASL AQ 1002 PP KT88 problem with input stage

I'm lost trying to figure out where I'm loosing 60V on input/spliter anodes of 12AU7 triodes. Schematic attached . B+ on the stage to plate resistors is as it should 288V but center of 120k plate resistors is only at 101V potential with bias set up at -115 .Resistors measure as they should 120kohm. My friend simmed that circuit and voltages should be at the levels like notetd in the schematic. What the heck?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antique Sound AQ1002.jpg (772.6 KB, 173 views)
Old 23rd February 2011, 06:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This schematic should be better quality
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AntiqueSound-AQ1002.pdf (109.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 17th January 2014, 06:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

***HELP*** I have this amp and no manual for it so I CAN NOT BIAS the tubes.
Can you send me or copy/scan the directions on how to bias the tubes, please !

Thanks !!!!!
Sean
sherninko@comcast.net
Old 17th January 2014, 01:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Negative bias area with adjustable presets Q1-4; how are they behaving ?
Old 17th January 2014, 01:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
There are four cathode resistors. Decide which class you require, A, AB, AB1, B etc and set the cathode current as you require with Q1-Q4 to the dissipation according to the valve data sheet.
Old 17th January 2014, 02:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

double check which amp you have. your thread says ASL, the schematic is for AS USA. AS Labs and AS USA are two different companies. some copy cat was going on and a lot of their products look simular.

If the voltage loss is across the whole bard, check for a shorted diode in power supply. if the loss is in only part of the board, check for open transistors and open resistors.
Old 17th January 2014, 03:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I do have AS USA amp . I am almost positively sure the AS USA was importing & assembling ASL or (OEM manufacturer for both brands from far east) products and had some slightly different versions. They usually (not always) had nicer build quality and better parts .Have to get back to this project .
Thanks , L
Old 17th January 2014, 03:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
As the negative rail is derived from a voltage doubler circuit, I would check C9,C10 and C21. If they are dry, you will get some odd results.
Old 17th January 2014, 05:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I also have one of these. I find the am has a sligh hum with KT-88's, KT-90's, but seems quieter using el-34's. Also very quite using 6l6 and no red coking on the 6l6 plates. Amp sounds very good.. worht fixing. Was thinking of migrating the irons on mine to a Mac 240 chasis and go pont to point. So if you never figure this out, may have a functional board that I won't need.
Old 17th January 2014, 06:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

For some reason the amp is frequently blowing Q5 Q6 in drivers B+ regulating circuit. I bought it with blown regulator replaced with dropping resistor. I bought transistors and fixed the circuit but it blown again after few weeks , so dropping resistor went in .
Speakerfritz , If you do migrate the Iron I'd buy your chassis and board ...since mine is little charred
Thanks , L

Hide this!Advertise here!