• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ASL AQ 1002 PP KT88 problem with input stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm lost trying to figure out where I'm loosing 60V on input/spliter anodes of 12AU7 triodes. Schematic attached . B+ on the stage to plate resistors is as it should 288V but center of 120k plate resistors is only at 101V potential with bias set up at -115 .Resistors measure as they should 120kohm. My friend simmed that circuit and voltages should be at the levels like notetd in the schematic. What the heck?!

Attachments

• Antique Sound AQ1002.jpg
    Antique Sound AQ1002.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 280
double check which amp you have. your thread says ASL, the schematic is for AS USA. AS Labs and AS USA are two different companies. some copy cat was going on and a lot of their products look simular.

If the voltage loss is across the whole bard, check for a shorted diode in power supply. if the loss is in only part of the board, check for open transistors and open resistors.

Thanks, I do have AS USA amp . I am almost positively sure the AS USA was importing & assembling ASL or (OEM manufacturer for both brands from far east) products and had some slightly different versions. They usually (not always) had nicer build quality and better parts .Have to get back to this project .
Thanks , L

I also have one of these. I find the am has a sligh hum with KT-88's, KT-90's, but seems quieter using el-34's. Also very quite using 6l6 and no red coking on the 6l6 plates. Amp sounds very good.. worht fixing. Was thinking of migrating the irons on mine to a Mac 240 chasis and go pont to point. So if you never figure this out, may have a functional board that I won't need.

For some reason the amp is frequently blowing Q5 Q6 in drivers B+ regulating circuit. I bought it with blown regulator replaced with dropping resistor. I bought transistors and fixed the circuit but it blown again after few weeks , so dropping resistor went in .
Speakerfritz , If you do migrate the Iron I'd buy your chassis and board ...since mine is little charred :)
Thanks , L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.