• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Urgent advice on Chinese purchase please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

A while back, ja2dhc posted the following thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/116499-chinese-output-transformer-300b-set.html

about some transformers he picked up in China. There were a number of responses suggesting they seemed good and a number that they seemed poor, at first look. Has anyone (including ja2dhc) had any actual experience with them? I found them in the same shop ja2dhc did in Shenzhen and I'm considering getting them.

The shop also stocks standard Shuguang Treasure 300B-Zs, which the shop-keeper suggested were a good match for the transformers. Again, has anyone tried the combination?

More generally, could you please eyeball the prices I have been quoted and tell me if they sound ok?

Pair of output transformers: 950rmb (~£90 or ~US$145)
Power transformer (one): 350 rmb (~£33 or US$53)
Pair of 300B-Zs: 2200rmb (~£206 or US$335)

I am thinking about getting all the above to make my first ever SET. Do you guys think it is worth it? To my inexperienced eyes, £340 plus chassis and passives doesn't sound like too bad a deal, but wouldn't want to spend the money if the final product is poor - can easily afford twice or three times the investment, if you think that's a better option.

Thanks!
Nikos

PS Would really appreciate a quick reply - leaving the city in 14 hours and I only bumped into this stuff a couple of hours ago! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.