• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6S33S SE Transformer Set

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That 6S33S amp that I posted looks so good because it is running a custom transformer set from Lawtronics. I have also contacted Edcor for their quote, which will include the 30H 40 mA choke that I added to the set to complete the amp build.

The amp is also running a couple of plate chokes from Electra-Print; they are the 60H @ 20 mA units.

When I get the quote from Edcor I will post it on this thread.

Attachments

• XfmrSet.jpg
    XfmrSet.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCF5374.JPG
    DSCF5374.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 358
Lawtronics is an Asian outfit that makes the transformers to order. They regularly post to EBAY; I bought 2 sets a few years ago, because I wanted to do a 2nd build of my Cathode Follower Zero FB amplifier. Additional iron required are a pair of the 60H plate transformers from Electra-Print and the 15-30H choke.

I did get a response from Edcor; they have as standard the OPT's, and they have a 15H small choke. Total less shipping on those is about $200. Would have to special order the power transformer and the high current choke; that would run about another $250 or so. Ground shipping would run about $40-50; bringing the grand total to about 5 bills.

Since the amp is a Cathode Follower the relatively small output iron works very well. Background is dead quiet, thanks to the pi-filtered rails and the quality of the choke and power transformer. With an octal front end direct coupled to the CF output drive she is very fast and with excellent dynamic response; very easy on the ears. I would daresay that one would have to spend upwards of several thousand dollars to even come close to this amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.