• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Genalex VS Mullard 12AT7 & 12AX7's HUGE DIFF?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need to get some new tubes for my VTL 5.5PH Preamp. It uses 6-12AT7's and 6-12AX7's and there is a huge price difference between the Genalex tubes and the Mullards. I am looking at new production tubes at Tubestore.com and I don't know what the sonic differences would be in the VTL. Any comments or suggestions?

The "Genelex" 12AT7 looks like the old EH version...the one with long plates (both are from New Sensor). I have a pair of the older EH tubes. They work fine, but bias a bit colder than a normal 12AT7. I haven't tried the newer short plate EH version. Frankly, I don't know what to make of New Sensor's marketing techniques with these "re-issues".

The Mullard 12AT7s that you see around for $30 are real NOS Mullards. They work well and should last a long time. Same with the JAN Philips tubes that you see around.

I have a bunch of JJ ECC81s and am finding they they are all getting weak after a few 100 hours in two different amps. They are cheap and measure well, so buy them by the dozen I guess. I'm not alone is noticing this with JJ's small tubes, though not a lot of other people have reported noticing it.

I don't know what to say about the 12AX7. They are popular in guitar amps and so there is a plethora of them and a lot of guitar-oriented opinions about them. In terms of noise, the Sovtek 12AX7LPS (New Sensor) was one of the best for a while. That is what I used in my one amp that uses this type. The "Mullard" and "Genelex" reissues look to have the same long plate structure as these and so I suspect they are similar. New Sensor has a short plate version marketed as an EH. I have one of these too, but it lives in its box. I didn't like it for some reason and can't remember why.

JJ has a long and short plate version too. The long plate looks more like a typical NOS tube while the short plate has a frame grid construction. I have one of the latter, but have never used it that I can recall. I think I meant to stick it in a guitar amp.

Anyway, my two cents for what it is worth!

JJ proudly keeps former Tesla design and manufacturing culture, their tubes are very good.

465988482_ffd04e4ba6_o.jpg

FWIW, the ones I've tested/used are the short plate variety- they look a lot like ECC88. Five years in the prototype RLD amp and no problem. I built three more for a friend and all the original tubes are still going strong after four years.

Maybe I got a bad batch then, I dunno. I have two that are in one of the same amps that those still measure OK. I know I got them separately as I got them with reasonably-matched sections, but they are also newer. They are in the phase splitter positions in a VTA-70 board. The input section was the one that was weak. I replaced it with another JJ, but haven't checked it since. Maybe I'll do that and report back to my old thread. George has all my weak/cold 12AT7s at the moment....

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have old CVC on my amp that are rebranded CV4024 Mullard. Short plates with that sandwiched copper visible on the plate wings. I remember I had exchanged EH, Brimar NOS, RFT, 6201 JAN, I am not sure if I put JJ there also back when I was rolling. Its a phase splitter with a BJT cascode CCS for its tail, so it was running same current with all and AC balance was good with all. For some reason, maybe its synergy, I settled for CV4024. Was coming across smoother and more meaty than the others. Anecdotal I know, just a story.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't know about that Genalex reissue, but the Mullard CV4024 original had served well my amp. I had a new 12AY7 EH gone hissy in 100h and I replaced it on that amp (had GE 6072A also, those EH are even cleaner to me) but the CV4024 Mullards never did anything odd in years of use. Mine they heater flash at turn on BTW.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.