Best value speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2011, 11:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best value speakers

I need to get speakers for an upcoming ST70 or ST35 build. I am wondering if anybody has recommendations for floor standing speakers at $500 or less per pair.

I know there are great values out there in used speakers, but I really dont want to spend time searching around. I would prefer new speakers.

Will I be able to find adequate speakers for $500/pair?
Old 20th February 2011, 01:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't think 500 new is going to get you much. If you're building an amp, why not the speakers too?

jeff
Old 20th February 2011, 01:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I got a lot of use out of my old Paradigm "Performance Series" 7se MkIII. I think I paid right around $500 for them, over seventeen years ago. They have quality Vifa tweeters and a relatively benign impedance curve. I've used them often with a variety of tubed amplifiers.

I don't know what the current prices of the Paradigms might be, but I'd think they are still worth a look.

Click the image to open in full size.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...gm/Mk3_Pg4.jpg

edit: It looks like the SE 3 might be their current model to investigate. It carries a retail price of $699, but twist the dealer's arm and insist on at least a 25% markdown.

Last edited by Ty_Bower; 20th February 2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 20th February 2011, 01:31 AM   #4
isaacc7 is offline isaacc7  United States
diyAudio Member

I've always had good luck with phase technology speakers. They sound good and are relatively easy to drive. As always, you'll get a lot more speaker for your money if you buy used...
Old 20th February 2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, DIY speakers would be the best value.

You should buy a kit, with crossover, and build the boxes to the kit plans. If you follow the plans you will get far better speakers than you could ever hope to buy.

You should also look for a kit that has high efficiency drivers since you amps are low power.

This design will probably stretch you budget, but would kick butt.

Mark Carter

It uses a 15" Dayton DC380 woofer, an Eminence mid and Hi-Vi quasi-ribbion tweeter. Mark did a 3-way crossover.

The crossovers and drivers will cost you close to $500. You will need to build a sizable box of 5.5 cubic feet for the woofer. However, the speakers are 92 dB/watt meter, which will work very well with the ST35.

Mark did this design at my request. 3-ways tend to cost more because the crossover is more complex, but you should get excellent quality out of this arrangement and you can upgrade the drivers if you want even more performance.

You can substitute a nice dome tweeter for the Hi-Vis. I choose Morel DMS-37s.

If you want to save some money I have a pair of all three drivers (Dayton, Eminence, and HiVi) that I would be willing to sell. The crossovers you will need to buy parts from Parts Express or Madisound or some other retailer.

You can build your own speakers this way and get something that rivals speakers costing thousands of dollars.
Old 20th February 2011, 01:49 AM   #6
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a picture of my version of that 3-way with my DIY tube amp sitting on top.

Click the image to open in full size.

You don't need such a complex cabinet. As long as the internal volumes are the same it will perform just as well.
Old 20th February 2011, 02:02 AM   #7
jt1 is offline jt1  United States
diyAudio Member

I built the 2PI series...the kits were 110.00 each shipped. 95 db and sound great to me on my RH84 SE. The same kit can be made into a tower configuration if you need more bass but the smaller cabs provide me with all I need. These sound as good to me as many high end factory units I have heard. The only issue I have with the kit is the cardboard bass reflex tube instead of a plastic one that would have cost $1.00 more:

Pi Speakers - Product Line and Driver Complements

There is a construction forum devoted to PI speakers here:

AudioRoundTable.com: Pi Speakers
Old 20th February 2011, 02:14 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DIY speakers builders tend to be addicts. There is all too often the need to move old projects out so new ones can be built. They go out at bargin basement prices.

Drop by, i have a few

dave
Old 20th February 2011, 02:16 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

On the theme of easy to build, the curved box PE cabinets, and a pair of Mark-Audio Alpair 10.2 or 12. Add a port, and stands.

dave
Old 20th February 2011, 02:37 AM   #10
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

DIY everytime!

Go on over to Dave's house and check out what he has... before doing anything else.

Edit: Where do you live anyway?

Best regards,
TerryO

Last edited by TerryO; 20th February 2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: added question

Hide this!Advertise here!