• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

St 35 or St 70?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to build one of these kits. I have never built a hi-fi tube amp, but I have built many guitar amps. I have a couple of questions:

1. I dont usually listen to music very loudly. I am concerned that I will not be able to get the EL34's in the ST 70 loud enough to get them to their sweet spot. Is there any validity to this concern?

2. I have lots of guitar amps that use EL84's so I already have lots of NOS on hand. I dont have any access to good NOS EL 34's.

Aside from the issue if I will be able to take advantage of the EL 34 headroom, is there a difference in sound quality between the two kits?

Thanks,
Jon

Disclaimer > Many know that I sell an ST-70 amp kit so take that into consideration when reading below.

I disagree with the above three posters. The ST-70 is the way to go for the following reasons ..

1. The ST-70 has double the power of the ST-35 for only about $125 - $150 more money. With more power you have a wider selection of available speakers.

2. The ST-35 has no on/off switch unless you add one. (See link below.) Most users of ST-35's resort to plugging the amp into a switched outlet or a power strip which is a lot easier than plugging and unplugging the line cord into a wall outlet to turn the amp on.

3. The ST-35 can only use EL84 (or their Russian equivalent) output tubes while modern ST-70's built from kits can use EL34, 6L6, KT66, KT77, KT88 or 6550 output tubes.

4. A stock ST-35 has no adjustable bias system like the ST-70 although adjustable bias systems are available for the ST-35. (at extra cost > $65). With a stock ST-35 you put your four EL84 tubes in there and play the amp. As the output tubes wear a little you have no way of compensating for a problem tube.

That said, the ST-35 in stock form is a very good sounding amp. Certain mods can bring up the sound a notch though. See link below.

ST-35 mods link

Bob Latino

Disclaimer > I'm Biased. I own 3 ST-35s, and I love 'em!

...but I have high efficiency speakers, and that is a factor.

I have owned both, and they are both worthy of your consideration. Today's ST-70s have improvements in both circuit design and component quality that has probably narrowed the gap between them.

Below is another mods link that you should look at if you are considering the ST-35, or already own one..

Dave's Lab

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
4. A stock ST-35 has no adjustable bias system like the ST-70 although adjustable bias systems are available for the ST-35. (at extra cost > $65). With a stock ST-35 you put your four EL84 tubes in there and play the amp. As the output tubes wear a little you have no way of compensating for a problem tube.

That gets into the whole fixed bias vrs cathode bias.

I currently have an EL34 PP, A complete rebuild using ST70 iron, with a Gregg-the-Geek DynaMutt front end. I rather like it. It trounced a 4k commercial offering i had on hand.

My next build thou will be a PP EL84 with cathode bias (i have chassis and a full set of dual mono ST35 iron). Why? We have a Class A triode EL84 based on El Cheapo with a Scott LK48 donor. Within its power limitations it sounds even better, I want to explore further what PP EL84 can do.

davewhat

1. I dont usually listen to music very loudly. I am concerned that I will not be able to get the EL34's in the ST 70 loud enough to get them to their sweet spot. Is there any validity to this concern?
As far as I'm concerned: no. That's more of a consideration from the guitar world, where the sound of overdriven power tubes is often regarded as desirable. In the world of hifi, audible distortion is usually frowned upon.

I never used to be a fan of the Dynaco stereo 70 and I mentioned that here years ago. After playing with the 70 and finding out basically that you throw away everything except the power transformer and output transformers and then start over.

The "Geek" Dynamutt board is by far the best sounding Dynaco board out there. Use it and Geeks power supply board along with individual output tube bias and you will have a great sounding 70.

My second choice for a 70 driver board would be the "Mapletree Driver Board". After that there are a number of ok sounding boards. The board that "Bob" pushes doesn't sound too bad but I personally feel the high end is a little exaggerated.

The Triode board that uses a 6AU6/12au7 combo is a nice sounding board at a reasonable price.

Basically the 70 suffers from a junk driver board and an anemic power supply.
You don't have to use expensive EL34's to make it sound good either. A cheap set of 6BG6GA's ( again a thanks to SY for the 6BG6GA tip) or Russian
6N3C-E tubes and it will sound great.

Last edited:
The Triode board that uses a 6AU6/12au7 combo is a nice sounding board at a reasonable price.

IMO, Triode's "other" ST70 board (all Noval) is even better, when populated with 2X EF86s and an ECC99. The idea behind TE's offerings is to retain Dyna's pentode voltage amplifier and triode phase splitter topology, while using available tube types. The EF86 is excellent, arguably the best small signal audio pentode. The ECC99, with its high gm and good linearity, makes a better "concertina" phase phase splitter than the 12AU7.

Quote:
IMO, Triode's "other" ST70 board (all Noval) is even better, when populated with 2X EF86s and an ECC99. The idea behind TE's offerings is to retain Dyna's pentode voltage amplifier and triode phase splitter topology, while using available tube types. The EF86 is excellent, arguably the best small signal audio pentode. The ECC99, with its high gm and good linearity, makes a better "concertina" phase phase splitter than the 12AU7.

That is good to hear:cool: I haven't tried that one yet but upon your recommendation I will.

..............The board that "Bob" pushes doesn't sound too bad but I personally feel the high end is a little exaggerated.

Interesting you should say that - I recently bought one and if anything I would have said the opposite!! It is an improvement over the stock board, and the individual bias is great to have. However, the biggest change for me was getting some KT66s in there. Local seller has the gold lions at €30 a matched pair......

I must investigate the geek board though - what is the website for that?

Fran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.