• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pi wound output transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I read many nice thing about Pi wound output transformers.
I know that Pi wound transformers are 100% symmetrically balanced and have 2X greater high frequency response than a conventional layer wound output transformers.
Pi-winding helps to breakup series resonance at high frequencies. etc.
Does anybody have experience with this technique?
Is it realy works?

greets:
Tyimo

Hi!
I read many nice thing about Pi wound output transformers.
I know that Pi wound transformers are 100% symmetrically balanced and have 2X greater high frequency response than a conventional layer wound output transformers.
Pi-winding helps to breakup series resonance at high frequencies. etc.
Does anybody have experience with this technique?
Is it realy works?

greets:
Tyimo

When you know why do you ask if it works?:(

It certainly works for tuning coils used at lower radio frequencies, like 100KHz-1MHz. By using a pie wound (not 'pi') coil, you reduce the parasitic capacitance across the coil for a given physical size, thus increasing its quality factor, Q. This is very important in many radio application, like when trying to make sharp bandpass filters.

Whether this makes any difference in audio transformers I cannot say...

Personally I prefer toroids. Unlike many contrary beliefs, it is not a problem to design and build audio output toroids which don't suffer from core saturation caused by DC imbalance of output stage idle current.

I have a pair of 60W 5K PP toroids which can sustain 15 mA imbalance at 36W/20 Hz (lover frequency = higher flux density). I didn't tested them yet at full load, need to build power resistor network first.

Many people are obsessed with exotic techniques, but simply put, this is not necessary. Its possible to build excellent transformer with either EI, Double C, or toroid. The rest is up to availability of material and price.

Hi, I am interested if anything happened since first post. A gentleman is offering me to make me a pi windings transformer instead a classic one.

So am hesitating to boldly go where nobody has gone before:D

As am a complete illiterate when these kind of things are in question, any suggestion :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.