miniatures 6n1p 6n2p - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2011, 04:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: Near Eindhoven, the sanctum of the pentode. and among that other things.
Send a message via Skype™ to v4lve lover
Default miniatures 6n1p 6n2p

i read somewhere on this forum about the 6n1/6n2 family of tubes . and its been said they are not equivalent to what they are said to be . ecc88 /ecc83
to my understanding they where developed to replace the 6sn7 and 6sl7 in new equipment .

so . this are suposed to be the correct equivalents
6n1p = a nine pin 6sn7
6n2p = a nine pin 6sl7

ofcourse the data differs slightly

am i bringing up something useless ?

course it horrifies me to see people modifying their equipment to use something witch is no 12ax7 .

and maybe the 6n2p is underrated because it does not sound good squeezed into some 12ax7 circuit .

wavebourn please comment you seem to know more about this .
Old 18th February 2011, 06:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ofcourse the data differs slightly
So the equations you found don't hold true...they might be close enough for comfort though.

Anyway, where're you getting at? I feel you're trying to go somewhere, and am curious to see how it works out.
Old 18th February 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

6N2P is close to a 12AX7 except that the heater wiring is completely incompatible. It's kinda like a 6SL7 -- I guess.

6N1P is not very close to anything I've seen. It's usually marketed (on eBay) as an ECC88 replacement, but that's a bit of a stretch. Might work to replace a 6SN7 but you'll probably need to recalculate the operating points. Depends on how it's being used I suspect.

Quote:
course it horrifies me to see people modifying their equipment to use something witch is no 12ax7 .
Hmm... Seems to me that if they are using a non-12AX7 where one is expected, then they SHOULD BE modifying their equipment.

Those 2 Russian tubes draw much bigger heater currents than the western tubes if I remember correctly, which means if you're replacing a different tube, then the heater power supply might be overburdened.

I think swapping ANY tubes for a different number/type requires a careful examination of the circuit and operating points, and plenty of follow-up testing to make sure they are performing as expected. Haphazard tube swapping is a gamble best left to the seasoned veterans. You assume the risks if you proceed.

..Todd

Last edited by taj; 18th February 2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 18th February 2011, 09:21 PM   #4
eeyore is offline eeyore  Australia
diyAudio Member

Best to think of them as different. 6n1p is similar to 6DJ8 family except for a few items. But it was essentially developed as a new tube. Have heard that 6n2p was a copy of 12AX7. But in both instances treat them as different and design accordingly. You could use the 6DJ8 and 12AX7 as a starting point, but don't do a simple replacement.
Old 19th February 2011, 07:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Near Eindhoven, the sanctum of the pentode. and among that other things.
you are all right . but carefully inspecting some original phillips 12ax7 and 6n2p shows completely different plate distances and grid winding dimensions . so i would opt that they are in no way identical .
by the way the 6n2p draws little over 340ma @ 6.3v per side . that is a little higher then the famous 12ax7
but i think this is done for a reason . and that is that tubes whit higher heater current generally have higher emission

on the other hand the soviets always used 6n8s in everything instrumental they made ( i got a oscilloscope who has one per input ) so i would think they where replacements . ( yes i know this has been said before ) so my point it is totaly wrong to call them an 12ax7

just like 6n1p has 4.35 mA/V and the ecc88 has something like 12.5mA/V
just like the 6sn7 has 2.6mA/V ( taken from an RFT datasheet ) witch makes them closer to a mini 6sn7 whit higher drive . i can think of a 6n1p being used in all sorts of measuring equiptment .

edit afther reading this . this even confused me .

on the end of the day . im only 15 years old and most folks around here are triple that . so its highly possible that im wrong .

anyway . have a nice day .

Last edited by v4lve lover; 19th February 2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 19th February 2011, 08:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

6N2P claimed to be 6 volt filament version of 12AX7
6N1P very close to 6DJ8.

6DJ8 6922 or EF86 excellent choice imho
6N1P is OK
6N2P stay away from
Old 19th February 2011, 10:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
6N2P stay away from
Why do you say that? I use the 6n2p-ev in my Baby Huey PP EL84 amp and have no complaints. But I must admit. I've done no comparisons as of yet.
Old 19th February 2011, 04:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

6n2p and 6n2p-ev(er) is a different tubes. I like ev and don't use 6n2p.
6n1p is really good
Old 19th February 2011, 08:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

judging from the psychical apearance of the 6n2p-ev it must be very good .

Hide this!Advertise here!