• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

miniatures 6n1p 6n2p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i read somewhere on this forum about the 6n1/6n2 family of tubes . and its been said they are not equivalent to what they are said to be . ecc88 /ecc83
to my understanding they where developed to replace the 6sn7 and 6sl7 in new equipment .

so . this are suposed to be the correct equivalents
6n1p = a nine pin 6sn7
6n2p = a nine pin 6sl7

ofcourse the data differs slightly

am i bringing up something useless ?

course it horrifies me to see people modifying their equipment to use something witch is no 12ax7 .

and maybe the 6n2p is underrated because it does not sound good squeezed into some 12ax7 circuit .

wavebourn please comment :p you seem to know more about this .

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
6N2P is close to a 12AX7 except that the heater wiring is completely incompatible. It's kinda like a 6SL7 -- I guess.

6N1P is not very close to anything I've seen. It's usually marketed (on eBay) as an ECC88 replacement, but that's a bit of a stretch. Might work to replace a 6SN7 but you'll probably need to recalculate the operating points. Depends on how it's being used I suspect.

course it horrifies me to see people modifying their equipment to use something witch is no 12ax7 .
Hmm... Seems to me that if they are using a non-12AX7 where one is expected, then they SHOULD BE modifying their equipment.

Those 2 Russian tubes draw much bigger heater currents than the western tubes if I remember correctly, which means if you're replacing a different tube, then the heater power supply might be overburdened.

I think swapping ANY tubes for a different number/type requires a careful examination of the circuit and operating points, and plenty of follow-up testing to make sure they are performing as expected. Haphazard tube swapping is a gamble best left to the seasoned veterans. You assume the risks if you proceed.

..Todd

Last edited:
you are all right . but carefully inspecting some original phillips 12ax7 and 6n2p shows completely different plate distances and grid winding dimensions . so i would opt that they are in no way identical .
by the way the 6n2p draws little over 340ma @ 6.3v per side . that is a little higher then the famous 12ax7
but i think this is done for a reason . and that is that tubes whit higher heater current generally have higher emission

on the other hand the soviets always used 6n8s in everything instrumental they made ( i got a oscilloscope who has one per input ) so i would think they where replacements . ( yes i know this has been said before ) so my point it is totaly wrong to call them an 12ax7

just like 6n1p has 4.35 mA/V and the ecc88 has something like 12.5mA/V
just like the 6sn7 has 2.6mA/V ( taken from an RFT datasheet ) witch makes them closer to a mini 6sn7 whit higher drive . i can think of a 6n1p being used in all sorts of measuring equiptment .

edit afther reading this . this even confused me .

on the end of the day . im only 15 years old and most folks around here are triple that . so its highly possible that im wrong .

anyway . have a nice day .

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I have a question about tube rolling on my Ayon spark amp. My amp is a single ended class a which has two power tubes 6c33, two 6h30 as drivers and two 12au7 as inputs.
I replaced pair of 6h30 with a pair of 6n1p. After this change, my amp's sound improved in terms of gain and detailed. But my 12au7 filament light is very dark when I used 6n1p.
What is happening? could be this harmful to my amp?
Thanks

I think the 6N23P is closer to the 6DJ8 than the 6N1P is to the 6DJ8.

Looking at the zero bias line it crosses 20mA and near 70V just below the power dissipation limit for both.

Vak 100 at -3V bias puts both at 2m5mA.

S 12.5 vs 12.5
u 32.5 vs 33
Heater 300 vs 310mA

That said, I have been testing all three in a Tubelab UPP board driving a set of 6P3S and see the variation between the three twin triodes within adjustment for any of the three.

Last edited:
6N1P is not all that close to the 6DJ8/6922 in much other than mu. It's closer to a 6BQ7 sort of thing. It was never intended to be a replacement for existing designs, it was meant to be a functionally similar triode for new designs going forward.

If you want a nine pin 6SN7 the 6CG7/6FQ7 is an exact electrical equivalent with an added shield between sections (But not always... some are even marked with both model numbers) and slightly derated for power dissipation in the smaller bottle.

I use 6n2p in place of ecc83 in my home built 834P phono stage. The ev variant is a really nice sounding valve and I prefer it to 83s in this phono stage.

The 6N2P is a fine valve, and for most work even the non-EV versions work fine. I really like them. My daily use amplifier (6CW5/EL86 outputs) uses them in the front end.

6N17B is even better, but I've only got one left at the moment. Great for microphone and phonostage work :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.