One more 4P1L SE - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2011, 09:38 PM   #31
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

I am currently running a DC coupled CCS loaded 4P1L-4P1L SE amp in the workshop , both valves are triode connected with G2 and G3 connected to the anode . It was going to be a driver stage for 845 but I connected a 5K SE OPTX instead of an IT to see how what it sounded like , I had already done a PP 4P1L amp which I use in the office which I was impressed with . 4P1L in SE sounds rather nice , although I do find this valve to be microphonic . Running the fils around 4V (in series) seems to help . Slightly low on gain as a power amp but can go fairly loud with sensitive speakers .

316A
Old 24th February 2011, 09:50 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Sorry, no I was wrong ont hat number. It wasn't a 1k5, it was a 1S5...

see here: http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../020/1/1S5.pdf

I think you could also use a 1B2 and 1DF91 (pulled from an old forum post) but god knows what they are.....

Fran
Old 24th February 2011, 10:23 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Sorry, no I was wrong ont hat number. It wasn't a 1k5, it was a 1S5...

see here: http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../020/1/1S5.pdf

I think you could also use a 1B2 and 1DF91 (pulled from an old forum post) but god knows what they are.....

Do you mean instead of 6J5P?
Old 24th February 2011, 10:35 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I haven't been particularly clear!!! Bed beckons.....

I had a chinese headphone amp that used the 4P1L valve with a 1s5 as driver (for which you could substitute 1B2 or 1DF91 - neither of which are common). It was a thing called a little dot 2 (model long discontinued and only later versions called little dot MK2 or 2+ or 2++ will show up in searches.

The amp sounded nice, I gather the 1s5 and 4P1L were old Russian military valve designed to run from batteries - hence the 4V heaters - you could run the heaters for the 1s2 in series. It just had caps on the output for headphones.

Fran
Old 24th February 2011, 10:46 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

1s5 is a tiny high-mu tube with low transconductance.
It may be very good for hearphones, but for power amp I wanted to get everything 4P1L can offer, that's why used cathode follower to drive it.

Speaking of fancy tubes, I am going to use 12J1L and 12P17L tubes in the next version of high-end tiny power amp. 12P1L is very similar by characteristics to 4P1L.
Old 25th February 2011, 01:57 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

I made output transformers for it using Edcor XCPP60-MS-4K -- reassembled laminates with an air gap about 0.2 mm using Capton film. No load inductance is about 18 Henry. Sounds gorgeous!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th February 2011, 05:03 PM   #37
hihopes is offline hihopes  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi 316A, I intend to build a 4p1l push-pull amp. Can you tell us more about yours please?
Old 25th February 2011, 05:05 PM   #38
hihopes is offline hihopes  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hey Wavebourn, I don't know whether that is breadboarding or ratsnesting!
Old 25th February 2011, 05:13 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihopes View Post
Hey Wavebourn, I don't know whether that is breadboarding or ratsnesting!
Does it matter? It is work in progress.

I am going to try to replace 6N16B in cathode follower by 6J5P and if I like it, drill couple more holes for tube sockets. After breadbourding is finished I will mount everything carefully, order front panel, and make usual wooden cheeks wrapped in black vinyl, like on this picture:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th February 2011, 05:25 PM   #40
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihopes View Post
Hi 316A, I intend to build a 4p1l push-pull amp. Can you tell us more about yours please?

VT50 (HL32K) DHT input stage with DN2540 CCS fed DC fils running 16R cathode resistor with filament bias with 100k anode load , 6N6 paralled concertina phase splitter with 10k loads top and bottom and LM1084 (CCS connected) DC fils on 4P1L . EZ81 rectifier 1uF 8H 60R choke into 220uF cap per channel . The component values of the cathode bias network I'm unable to remember but I do remember using 91R resistors to strap G2 and G3 to the anode and 196R grid stoppers with 150K grid resistors for the 4P1L . Around 3 watts per channel

The amp is quite microphonic , not really suitable for high efficiency speakers

316A

Hide this!Advertise here!