One more 4P1L SE - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 02:16 AM   #291
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I'm still waiting for my 4P1L tubes to show up. Been over 2 weeks and I was hoping to build an amp during the Christmas break.
I can top that. I have been waiting for over 1 month for mine......
Fortunately seller has offered to send replacements.
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:26 AM   #292
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
I'm still waiting for my 4P1L tubes to show up. Been over 2 weeks and I was hoping to build an amp during the Christmas break.
How far are you from Pleasant Hill?
You can borrow mine.
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:42 AM   #293
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaspec View Post
I can top that. I have been waiting for over 1 month for mine......
Fortunately seller has offered to send replacements.
One day all the supply off all these fabulous inexpensive Russian tubes is going to come to a halt and we will all wish we had bought 100 of each. Tubes like this one are a deal of a lifetime right now.

Last edited by regal; 23rd December 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:52 AM   #294
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks, but I'm on the other side of the continent. Guess it will be a project for next year. Rotaspec, I hope you get yours soon.
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:09 AM   #295
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm on the other side of the continent. Guess it will be a project for next year. Rotaspec, I hope you get yours soon.
Oops... I thought you are in North California.
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:12 AM   #296
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
One day all the supply off all these fabulous inexpensive Russian tubes is going to come to a halt and we will all wish we had bought 100 of each. Tubes like this one are a deal of a lifetime right now.
I have at least hundred of them. And lifetime stock of 6S17K-V and 6N16B-V.
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:07 PM   #297
diyAudio Member

Sorry for my ignorance, can 4P1L be used as preamp? if yes what's the input & output impedance? what's the gain? for SS amp can be used without output transformers if not what are the specs of the output transformer?

Thanks for help, I wish you Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year for all people of this amazing thread.

Felipe
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:27 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

Yes, 4P1L in triode can be used as a preamp, and it sounds great. BUT - it is microphonic and if that bothers you in your system you will need to take steps to kill the microphonics. Basically you need to mount it on a solid and fairly heavy piece of metal (or mount two on the same piece) and then decouple that from the chassis. You also need to decouple the chassis from the stand it's on. I have been winding teflon plumber's tape around the bottle half way up as well - not sure how much that helps but it doesn't seem to do much harm.

I use a 1:1 OPT straight into my amp - Lundahl 1660/18mA. That's a gain of around 10 and output impedance of around 2k. You need at least 15mA. For a lot of SS amps you would need to step down, so you will lose some of the gain. You may be OK with others - depends what devices are on the input.

But, yes, 4P1L makes a great preamp and it's what I use myself - in filament bias.
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:26 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andy, I have on hand the Lundahl 1660/18mA for #26 tube preamp and wired as you: Alt Q SE Line Output 4.5 : 1 with that configuration have a gain x10 & and output impedance of 2K? could you link me to your schematic? can be enough gain for vynils?
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:37 PM   #300
работник
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Yes I agree about the flexibility, it is such an interesting tube and I have a quartet I am dying to use. Using the 3a5 for a DAC output makes sense, and it adds more flexibility for a wide range of DAC's/preamps. But for my case with a solid 2Vrms DAC (SS) do you think a 4P1L would have enough gain to push a 6C4C 150V-180 Vp-p, maybe even even a GU-50 triode ? Worse case I would use an input transformer to use the DAC's balanced output and deliver 4Vrms to the 4P1l ?

Thanks your work with all DHT SET's is inspiring. I just figure if I'm doing an DHT oupt it really makes most sense to use all DHT.
Hi Dave,

The 4П1Л will drive the 6C4C into clipping easily.

It's very well behaved in pentode mode - there are no sharp rises in screen current, even with the anode down at 50V.

The only big demand is a B+ of 500V. But the current is low, so you can use a voltage doubler to get this high voltage. a tube (damper) rectifer is recommended, to give a slow rise to this level of HT.

Operating condition:

Va(b) = 500V, well filtered LCLC or shunt regulated
Va = 200V
Vg2 = 150V (eg DN2540 CCS into gas tube)
Ra = 10K 14W Welwyn W24
Ia = 30mA
Pa = 6W (7,5 max rating)

Gain is approx gm.RL: about 6 x 10 = 60
So to get 90V zero-to-peak, need 1.5V peak from DAC

IME a single pentode driver sounds much fresher and more articulate than 2-stage triode.

And if you like the sound in pentode, you can convert the stage to shunt cascode later, and get better supply rejection, more gain, and better sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!