Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2012, 01:39 PM   #221
palmas is offline palmas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihopes View Post
I've had my eye on these 4p1L's for some time now, and your endorsement has finally persuaded me to order some. I have 10 on the way. I want to build a SE preamp, then a simple as possible push-pull power amp with them. Can you recommend a good source for reasonably priced sockets for them?
Regards,
William.
You can find a lot on e-bay, cheap and easy.
I'm looking foward to have the time to make a pre with these DHP.
Let me know how your's is doing.
Cheers
Old 29th August 2012, 02:54 PM   #222
diyAudio Member

You won't regret getting into the 4P1L. It's just amazing. Now - for a preamp it does have issues with microphonics. I'm OK because all my music is in my Mac Mini and the volume control is in software, so I don't need to touch the preamp at all. Bumps tend to set off microphonics and one way around this if you're going to be switching stuff or if you have a stepped attenuator which vibrates is to put the volume control and switch in a separate box and leave the preamp alone. Be sure to use filament bias!! It's all in the "26 pre amp" thread.

Andy
Old 29th August 2012, 03:34 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
You won't regret getting into the 4P1L. It's just amazing. Now - for a preamp it does have issues with microphonics. I'm OK because all my music is in my Mac Mini and the volume control is in software, so I don't need to touch the preamp at all. Bumps tend to set off microphonics and one way around this if you're going to be switching stuff or if you have a stepped attenuator which vibrates is to put the volume control and switch in a separate box and leave the preamp alone. Be sure to use filament bias!! It's all in the "26 pre amp" thread.

Andy
The problem is I have a lot of other tubes to use for pre, and with some I'm half way in (10Y, 45, 211,...).
Will try to make a good pneumatic suspension for the 4P1L!
Old 29th August 2012, 03:37 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Andy
Just one more detail: what is the expected gain from the 4P1L? I have a few Lundahl interstage to choose from and the decision will be based on the gain.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:11 PM   #225
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Andy
I tend to slightly disagree here. I have successfully build a superb preamp with 4P1L and sound-wise I may say is even better that 26. A question of personal taste, still experimenting though now with a new version. Microphonics can be easily controlled: rubber suspension or suspended by cord. I have seen 30 preamps howling (not mine) and the 4P1L is really quiet. I got to a point that I needed to bang loud on the table to get a real impact on the 4P1L. Some 26/01a/112a, etc can be really microphonic, you have to select them by hand.

A lot of info about my experiments can be found on this long thread:

4P1L DHT Line Stage

cheers,
Ale
Old 31st August 2012, 11:35 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Default 4P1L as a pentode driver

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but has anyone actually tried using this as a pentode driver for an SE triode?

I have used pentodes to drive 45's and 2A3's before. I tried 6C6's and C3M's with regulated screen supplies driving 45's and 2A3's. Sounded good, but not as good as what I currently use, paralleled both halves of a 6N1P, LED cathode bias, 190V @ 14mA into a Hammond 126C IT driving a 2A3,.

I would like to try the 4P1L as a driver, but that means using another stage if I use the 4P1L in triode mode.

Would the 4P1L in pentode be a good driver for a 2A3? Anyone got any ideas about operating points with a resistive load?

Thanks

Martin
Old 30th September 2012, 06:32 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

Default My PSE version

power: about 4W
sound: excellent, beter than GU50

4P1L PSE Shema.png
Old 1st October 2012, 07:41 AM   #228
DimZ is offline DimZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

I think that 4P1L prices will rise ....... soon ....
Old 1st October 2012, 09:23 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

sure if we see post like this...!
Old 1st October 2012, 09:25 AM   #230
diyAudio Member

why not use 4p*....

Hide this!Advertise here!