One more 4P1L SE - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2011, 12:19 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbagp View Post
Do you have a part number for the adjustable 2.2 ohm resistor or do you just use a 5 ohm variable pot?

What is the purpose of the 1K resistor in parallel?

ray
It is 1 Ohm, actually. Drawing software puts 1k by default for all resistors, I forgot to change it.

I bought that 2.2 Ohm trimpots on epay long time ago. I'll check if they have some part numbers on them, but I am going to measure what is needed to get filaments warmed up then put some resistors instead of the trimpot there.
Old 13th March 2011, 12:01 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Today I tried one experiment: +12V on the 3'rd grid. As the result, linear output from the tube is even higher!

Now I need to make that +12V stabilizer, and increase voltage of the negative stabilizer.
Old 13th March 2011, 03:04 PM   #103
Jaime is offline Jaime  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

This is truly a breakthrough.
Regards Jaime
Old 13th March 2011, 05:23 PM   #104
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Is there something to say about design choices concerning the:

6j5p, 6n16b-v

helmuth
Old 13th March 2011, 08:41 PM   #105
hihopes is offline hihopes  South Africa
diyAudio Member

+12v on 3rd grid of which tube?
Old 13th March 2011, 11:46 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihopes View Post
+12v on 3rd grid of which tube?
4П1Л
Old 13th March 2011, 11:55 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Hi,

Is there something to say about design choices concerning the:

6j5p, 6n16b-v
6J5P is as I described already, is a small 7 pin repackage of an octal tube 6AC7, in triode mode with 5-10 mA of idle current and high dynamic load is quite a good voltage amplifier for this amp.

Speaking of 6N16B, it is a tiny replacement for 6SN7. Actually, it is more close to 6N1P than to 6SN7. I put it inside because when experimented did not want to punch an extra hole for a tube socket: I was searching for a decent interstage transformer. But as the result discovered that what I made is even better than an interstage transformer, and punched more holes: for 4P1L in parallel, and for 6J9P to replace 6N16B as a cathode follower.

It is not the first time when trying to "cheat" simplifying something I found better solution than intended initially.

Now I have very clean stereo amp, with amazing stereo image, single ended, no feedback, 5W per channel, using extremely cheap tubes, that sounds better than amps that use very expensive tubes and interstage transformers.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:34 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

A little bit of a bodywork...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:26 PM   #109
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
A little bit of a bodywork...
Cool, looks nice!

My 4P1L arrived safely from Mockba today. I got these from rutubes along with a bunch of other interesting tubes & stuff. Well packed and not a very long wait really.
Old 16th March 2011, 12:04 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Cool, looks nice!
Thank you!
I can't figure out how to fix better the plastic mirror between hot toobs and transformers. Also, how to fix a top lid for transformer apartment...

Quote:

My 4P1L arrived safely from Mockba today. I got these from rutubes along with a bunch of other interesting tubes & stuff. Well packed and not a very long wait really.
Congratulations Kevin!

I buy my stuff from e-pay sellers from Ukraine and Lithuania. They sell from military warehouses, cheap!

Last edited by Wavebourn; 16th March 2011 at 12:06 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!