• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

One more 4P1L SE

Do you have a part number for the adjustable 2.2 ohm resistor or do you just use a 5 ohm variable pot?

What is the purpose of the 1K resistor in parallel?

ray

It is 1 Ohm, actually. Drawing software puts 1k by default for all resistors, I forgot to change it.

I bought that 2.2 Ohm trimpots on epay long time ago. I'll check if they have some part numbers on them, but I am going to measure what is needed to get filaments warmed up then put some resistors instead of the trimpot there.

Hi,

Is there something to say about design choices concerning the:

6j5p, 6n16b-v

6J5P is as I described already, is a small 7 pin repackage of an octal tube 6AC7, in triode mode with 5-10 mA of idle current and high dynamic load is quite a good voltage amplifier for this amp.

Speaking of 6N16B, it is a tiny replacement for 6SN7. Actually, it is more close to 6N1P than to 6SN7. I put it inside because when experimented did not want to punch an extra hole for a tube socket: I was searching for a decent interstage transformer. But as the result discovered that what I made is even better than an interstage transformer, and punched more holes: for 4P1L in parallel, and for 6J9P to replace 6N16B as a cathode follower.

It is not the first time when trying to "cheat" simplifying something I found better solution than intended initially.

Now I have very clean stereo amp, with amazing stereo image, single ended, no feedback, 5W per channel, using extremely cheap tubes, that sounds better than amps that use very expensive tubes and interstage transformers.

Cool, looks nice!

Thank you!
I can't figure out how to fix better the plastic mirror between hot toobs and transformers. Also, how to fix a top lid for transformer apartment...

My 4P1L arrived safely from Mockba today. I got these from rutubes along with a bunch of other interesting tubes & stuff. Well packed and not a very long wait really.

Congratulations Kevin!

I buy my stuff from e-pay sellers from Ukraine and Lithuania. They sell from military warehouses, cheap!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank you!
I can't figure out how to fix better the plastic mirror between hot toobs and transformers. Also, how to fix a top lid for transformer apartment...

Congratulations Kevin!

I buy my stuff from e-pay sellers from Ukraine and Lithuania. They sell from military warehouses, cheap!

Hi Anatoliy,
Usually I get mine from those ePay sellers but rutubes had some pretty compelling deals, so I grabbed them directly from them. Their site is very nice and they have lots of interesting items - of course there was a run on their stock of 4P1L once I mentioned them. Shipping was very quick.. Russian and Eastern block sellers in general seem to be amongst the most honest/ethical in their customer dealings I have ever dealt with - never a problem. Hope it stays that way.