• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Extending Tube Sockets off a PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried extending the tube sockets off a preamp pcb with wire connections, say about 4” to another fixed location inside the chassis? 9-pin 12AU7 bottom mount sockets would be used.

I did this in my power amp, but the extension was less than about an inch. 4" sounds too long to me for a preamp.

I used bus wire and soldered them to the socket first, then pushed it into the PC board.

My reason was to keep the filaments off the PCB, so I only brought up the six signal pins.

There's several ways to do this if you search a bit.

Important things to remember is that stopper resistors need to be close to the tube to do their thing; that has to be designed into your final system.

Also, if the reason you are doing this is just to mount the tube sockets flush against a top plate without other components getting in the way, the better way is to assemble the PCB so that bulky components are mounted on the underside of the PCB. Obviously, if you go this route you need to pay attention to polarity and not just stuff the PCB blindly according to original instructions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.