help with plate supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2003, 12:28 AM   #1
jarthel is offline jarthel  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default help with plate supply

Here's the schematic for one of the channels -->> http://home.swbell.net/acavalli/imag...dphone_Amp.gif

Here's the schematic for the supply -->> http://home.swbell.net/acavalli/imag...r_Supply_2.gif

When I simulated the plate supply (though without the 470K resistor as I can't put it) using Duncan's PSU designer, the the voltage across the last capacitor is around +200V. The load I used is a constant current of 27mA and this is according to the designer.

So I went and build the plate supply according to the schematics.
Well results are confusing. The voltage across the capacitors are:

1st = +350V
2nd = +350V
3rd = +350V

Can someone explain?

Maybe it's because that I need to build the amp first and connect it to plate supply and then I can measure the voltages across the capacitors and get correct readings?

Thanks for the reply.

Jayel
Old 29th July 2003, 12:48 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You're not loading the supply at all, so the voltage will be higher than the fully-loaded voltage. Simulate a load by figuring out what the expected current draw of your amp is and using Ohm's Law to calculate the equivalent resistor, assuming you want 200V at the output.

The usual warnings apply. The voltages here are potentially lethal and must be treated with respect. if you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing, DON'T DO IT.
Old 29th July 2003, 12:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

current draw is 27mA per channel so it's should 54mA. How do I simulate current draw? Resistance load is easy but I have had to use current load in the past.

Thank you.

jayel
Old 29th July 2003, 12:58 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you expect a 54 ma current draw at 200 volts, calculating an equivalent resistor is straightforward. If you don't know how to do that and to determine the resistor's wattage, you shouldn't be messing around with high voltages.
Old 29th July 2003, 01:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was dumb to ask that. forgot about ohm's law.

Hide this!Advertise here!