• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need some help with these tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan on making or restoring a tube amp in the near future and I ran across someone who has a lot of tubes. My problem is that I dont know what they are worth. They were his uncles but now he has them. I was hoping that someone could maybe tell from the pics if the lot is worth $125

I really dont want to get screwed here because I am new, but I cant tell the models or some brands of these tubes

Thanks for help

DSC01786 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC01787 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC01788 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC01792 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC01794 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'd worry whether there are actually tubes in all the boxes, as many of them have been opened. Why would he snap 4 photos, and not one details any single tube in close up? There are several tubes just 'poking out' of the end of a box, possibly to make us believe they are all filled.

Looks to me like he cherry picked the stash for any useful tubes, which might explain having the boxes in a jumble on the floor, and is now trying to pass on the remains to someone looking for a quick bargain. With several tubes with top connectors and loctal bases, I'd definitely want a detailed list - including inventory numbers - before handing over any cash.

I second the above advice. Do this if and only if you get an inventory first and trust the guy enough as to the condition of the tubes.

Look at it this way: once you decided what amp you want to build, $125 will get you a long way in getting exactly the tubes you need (from different sources if necessary).

If this collection happens to originate from a TV repair shop, and they are all TV tubes, you're back to square one. (Not that you can't make an audio amp out of TV tubes, but they're not the types which are used in 99% of the audio/guitar amps out there, and so they're definitely not what you'll want to use for a first amp.)

Kenneth

I plan on making or restoring a tube amp in the near future and I ran across someone who has a lot of tubes.

Seems to me you might be putting the cart before the horse here. Buying the valves before you have decided which amplifier to make/restore? If none of the valves are usable by you, you are $125 down unless you can sell any or all of those bottles. In which case, you have just taken over the task which is in front of the present owner. Believe me, buying is a lot easier than selling.

Unless you have some reliable evidence that
1) At least some of the valves in this collection are in good condition
2) Some of these working valves are usable by you or saleable by you
give them a miss, or bid him $10 to give him his floor space back.

Certainly some nice brands there but you can't judge a tube by it's box. Interesting how all the numbered ends of the boxes happen to be not pointed at the camera.

I have a 12ax7 in the same type of box as the small yellow Sylvania in that pic. It's a Blackburn Mullard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.