• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My "Red board" chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings everyone,
Just wanted to show you my "Red board" chassis before it gets stuffed. My plan is a separate power supply. If anyone has any questions, you can get me at rsumperl@hhk.com

Ray

Attachments

• DSCN0885.JPG
    DSCN0885.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 723
  • DSCN0887.JPG
    DSCN0887.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 679
  • DSCN0889.JPG
    DSCN0889.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 654
  • DSCN0892.JPG
    DSCN0892.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 629
  • DSCN0893.JPG
    DSCN0893.JPG
    529.5 KB · Views: 608
  • DSCN0896.JPG
    DSCN0896.JPG
    384.7 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN0895.JPG
    DSCN0895.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN0898.JPG
    DSCN0898.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN0899.JPG
    DSCN0899.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 153
Actually Stuart, I wish I had the machinery to do it, love doing that kind of stuff, must be the male power tool thing, but alas, I drew it out and sent it to a shop in Chicago.
As a side note, the most "fun" job this EE ever had (besides working in Detroit) was working at an engine rebuilder in Melbourne Florida!

Actually Stuart, I wish I had the machinery to do it, love doing that kind of stuff, must be the male power tool thing, but alas, I drew it out and sent it to a shop in Chicago. As a side note, the most "fun" job this EE ever had (besides working in Detroit) was working at an engine rebuilder in Melbourne Florida!

Would you be willing to share the name of the shop? I'm in Chicago and I sure would be happy to find a good one.

Thanks!

Big red board.

Looks sweet, can't wait to see it stuffed. What iron and tubes have you selected??
I went wood with the second amp. Just was able to get the wood stained and the plate buffed. Head to China tomorrow.
I received the knobs that I ordered before Christmas so I was able to finish the first one as designed. The other knobs were a little tacky.

Attachments

• 2-12-11c.jpg
    2-12-11c.jpg
    888.8 KB · Views: 261
That chassis looks quite good. Is it completely custom or does somebody make that base chassis minus custom machining?

The detail that really sells it for me is what looks like tight tolerances on the beveled edges and the fact that the panels look nice and thick.

Sorry about the delayed response fellas. I've been trying to find this in the forums for a while.

I built this chassis for Ray. If anyone is interested in this, read my posts to follow and I will post detailed pics of the chassis frame. Trust me it's a lot cooler than it looks in previous pics.

And yes, I will build custom, plain, or ???

Would you be willing to share the name of the shop? I'm in Chicago and I sure would be happy to find a good one.

Thanks!

Shane,

Our shop is American CNC Machine Inc. We are located in Addison. We are a full service job shop with design, prototyping, and production capabilities. The chassis is a pet project of mine. Give me a call if there's anything you need. 630-669-4304

Bob

The chassis

So here's the low down on this chassis.

In the pics you will notice more than a few features that set it apart from your standard thin sheet metal boxes.

First, all panels are removable.

The top and rear are attached with two small welds which means you can remove all of your components from the chassis, work on them, and reinstall easily.

Removing either side panel exposes the chassis frame, which is common to both sides. There are also several tapped holes in each frame that can be used for wire holders or a buss bar or barrier strips (actually the spacing top to bottom is designed for a 4 position barrier strip available at any "Radio Shack")allowing you to easily change output taps or set bias or what ever you want to use them for.

All panels are made from 3/16" Alum except for the front which is 3/8". This makes the chassis, as a whole, very solid and as you would expect minimally resonant, especially compared to thin sheet metal.

This design is also scaleable as you can see in some of the last pics which are showing my Pre and PS.

The chassis's I have built to date have been built by hand for the most part. I found for single units it's the only way to control the quality.

I could do a production run if someone wanted, any more than 4 could be done on our CNC mills which would reduce the price. Obviously more units per order means less cost per unit.

Anyone interested can call me at 630-669-4304.

Attachments

• DSCN0915.JPG
    DSCN0915.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0916.JPG
    DSCN0916.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN0917.JPG
    DSCN0917.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0920.JPG
    DSCN0920.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0919.JPG
    DSCN0919.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN0918.JPG
    DSCN0918.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN0921.JPG
    DSCN0921.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN0922.JPG
    DSCN0922.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN0924.JPG
    DSCN0924.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN0925.JPG
    DSCN0925.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 104
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.