• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Value of coupling caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 6.8k resistors are grid stoppers. They don't affect LF. The relevant resistance for LF is the grid leak (to ground, or the bias supply). Probably in the region 200-500K.

If you reduce the capacitors you might simply get a bit less LF. Or, because of the increased phase shift, you might get an LF peak around 10-20Hz. With digital sources this does little harm. If you listen to LP then you may get cone flapping. Mains voltage variations can also do this. We can't tell you the answer, because it depends on all the other LF poles in the circuit too.

0.22uF will generally be ok for a decent LF response, assuming something from 100k upwards has been used for grid stoppers of the power tubes. Bypassing the coupling caps with yet smaller values makes very little sense IMHO, but whatever floats your boat; it's a free world. Expect very little improvement with values higher than .47uF.

John, did I miss that you know the value of the load resistor? That's what determines the hi-pass filterpoint.

Lots of us feel that in a sand amp that's otherwise direct-coupled, a FP somewhere in the 2- or 3Hz range range is plenty low enough, and for a tubed amp that has other HP filters, c. 5Hz is low enough.

Connect a DMM switched to DCV to the cap that's there and turn on the cold amp. It's the highest DCV you see there that you have to exceed with the rating of the cap. 600 sounds mighty high to me.

And consider the MultiCap RTX 'styrenes; they sound quite good and aren't priced up with the Teflons, etc.

http://www.soniccraft.com/multicap_rtx.htm

Its 100k. I know about styrenes and love them except when you have the heat of 8 el34s to contend with. I think polyprop is a better choice in this and the thetas sound just as good as styrenes. Will use teflons in the front end and the thetas for output coupling. Should be a nice matchup. BTW, I have been using teflons in audio for twenty years. I know my way around capacitor quality.

AES (Antique Electronic Supply) has reasonably priced caps. I use the Solen polypropylene ones... 1 uF is a little over $2/EA. You probably won't need that many...

Antique Electronic Supply

The LF cutoff is set by the coupling cap and any resistance to AC ground. Usually, you'll find a 100 kOhm to 1 Mohm grid leak resistor. Some tubes have more grid leakage than others, hence requires a lower resistance grid leak resistor. You can calculate the LF cutoff as

f-3dB = 1/(2*pi*R*C)

R in ohm, C in Farad, f-3dB in Hz.

Changing R or C will affect circuit performance. The question is if this change is acceptable to you or not.

~Tom

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.