• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes are beautifully colored....right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Furthermore, I've got the Morgan Jones Valve Amps book sittin here, and he did linearity tests on these tubes himself and shows the results in his book, which agree with what my friend found.

No, Morgan never tested 12AX7s. When I showed him my results, he wasn't at all surprised.

Maybe you're thinking of 12AU7? Morgan did test them and concluded that they were not fit for high fidelity use.

has personally measured the linearity of virtually every triode ever made,
I'm just wondering how many of us in this diy community have actually seen (measurements) the harmonics characteristics of pre / amps we personally use. I see a lots of theories discussed but how do these thing perform in real life? I've measured both of my SET and P-P tube amps and they do show a difference that's in agreement with some posters here.

Not strange at all. You would expect distortion of a few % just below clipping, which is barely audible and better than some loudspeakers. Provided the bias is correct this will be mainly low order. Add feedback to get it down to 0.1% if you wish.

When I first built my modified 5-20 I listened to it open-loop before debugging the feedback. Open-loop it was quite pleasant to listen to, apart from lack of damping as you said. I could therefore be sure my feedback was improving a good amp, not patching up a bad amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.