Stern's saville double 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2011, 12:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Stern's saville double 6

Hello,
This ampli for some reason doesn't play on left channel when i turn the selector on STEREO position. If i put the selector on RIGHT BOTH, both channels works but only right input. With LEFT BOTH no sound in both channels. I'm looking for schematics or for a concrete help to solve this issue. I suspect the problem is in preamp section, but i don't know where to put my hands. I replaced some capacitors 4 years ago and It worked very well before this problem. i'll post later some pictures. Thanks and excuse me for my poor english
Old 8th February 2011, 08:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

We need a schematic and any measurement data you recorded. But yeah, it sounds like there's something wrong with the preamp section. Might be as simple as a broken connection, or as complex as parts blowing up due to an unknown defect. In any case, a schematic and some measurements are in order.
Old 8th February 2011, 12:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't know how to start. The only tries i made where made with an oscilloscope and the result was a very low audio signal on broken channel and a low ac sound on speaker. This afternoon i'll do some photos and will ask to my friend to write down a schematic....i hope he will do......
For the information i have now, this ampli uses, 4 ecl86, two per channel. i'll post the exact models and quantity of tubes togheter with pictures.

For information, the exact name of this ampli is STERN'S SAVILLE "DOUBLE 6" STEREO AMPLIFIER
Old 8th February 2011, 03:10 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Suspect coupling caps, corroded contacts, and broken connections first if this effects all inputs.

Can you describe other features? Does it have phono input? Switching: Left, right, stereo and stereo-reverse? Mono? AUX, tuner, tape monitor loop? Phono/tape pre-amp switch?

Clearly the power amps are OK, and something in the left channel signal path is open, but without stating what type of input you used it is hard to know whether this is a line level issue or something else.

Try to locate and post a schematic for us to look at. Google doesn't seem to know anything about this amplifier in a very quick search.

Last edited by kevinkr; 8th February 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 8th February 2011, 05:19 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I think some Stern amps were copies of Mullard designs.
Old 8th February 2011, 06:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

With 2 ecl86 per channel, it most likely doesn't have a phono input.

Since the power stages are both ok, all the tubes glow. So yeah, coupling caps and bad contacts are the first things to check.

How do all the DC voltages check out; any differences between the channels, esp. in the input/driver stages?
Old 8th February 2011, 07:51 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon View Post
With 2 ecl86 per channel, it most likely doesn't have a phono input.

Since the power stages are both ok, all the tubes glow. So yeah, coupling caps and bad contacts are the first things to check.

How do all the DC voltages check out; any differences between the channels, esp. in the input/driver stages?

Given the vintage I would be very surprised if it didn't have a phono stage, and a tube rectifier. I took post #3 to mean that the power stages used a pair of ECL86 per channel and that there might be more tubes. Guess we will have to wait for the OP to get back to us on that.

Here is a link to a Stern's that is a copy of the Mullard 10-10 stereo: http://www.hifiworks.co.uk/images_fu...sternsmain.jpg
Look anything like this?

Here is another thread here on a Stern's Mullard 10-10 inspired amp, including a picture: stern's ecl86 amp

Last edited by kevinkr; 8th February 2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 8th February 2011, 09:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I made a check about tubes....i don't know why i said it has two ecl86....
this ampli have these tubes:
4 X ecl83 two per channel
1 X ez81
2 X ef86
1 X 12ax7a.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stern3.JPG (167.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg stern1.JPG (140.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg stern2.JPG (113.1 KB, 42 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!