• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Antek toroidal vs Edcor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to build a KT88 SE amp, and was thinking about using toroidal transformers this time (used Edcor XPWR059 and CXSE25-4-5K on Tubelab SSE), and has looked at Antek's toroidal transformers (PT=AN-4T360 OPT=AT-040L). But how will it perform against the Edcor's? Otherwise I was thinking about using Hammond 1628SEA and 374BX...

---
David

Nobody says you have to use power and output transformers from the same vendor.

I've used an Antek AT-2T350 on my Tubelab SSE-inspired design along with the Edcor CXSE25's. Works great.

I like toroids for their low leakage fields, but toroidal output transformers are prohibitively expensive. Plitron would probably be my brand of choice if I had the cash burning holes in my pockets.

For the EI cores I'd go with ElectraPrint or Edcor.

I haven't heard anything good about the Antek output transformers. Many people seem to dislike the Hammond products due to issues with quality (both electrical/mechanical and cosmetic).

~Tom

There have been a couple of threads on Antek's OPTs. They appear to have poor HF response, which can be seen on the chart they supply. They are a power transformer company that sells Chinese-made toroids for 50/60 Hz operation. Some of them are useful for tube amps and they are a clear winner in the bang-for-your-buck category. However, even a few of these have quirks that make it seem like they don't quite understand our needs.

Their power transformers have been steadily improving, so perhaps at some point they will figure out how to interleave and improve their OPTs as well. Until then, to me Edcor is the clear winner in OPT bang-for-your-buck category.

FYI,

I inquired about the OPT's 20watt and 40Watt, I was told they are not making the lower wattage anymore. I would stay away from the OPT's.

Their power transformers are SPOT ON though, excellent pricing and quick shipping on in stock items. I have bought two transformers and they match up perfectly to their spec sheets as far as measured output.

I agree that in the PT arena they are hard to beat price wise, BUT since they aren't even attempting to "hide" the OPT HF response issue I would say it is an issue.

I used the Antek 1T300 power toroid in a SET amp and it's the best
value for money out there.

I built a PP KT-77/EL-34 amp using Trafomatic toroidal OPTs and am very
happy with the result. Boris Sasic of Vista Audio is the US rep for Trafomatic,
and he was very good to deal with.

Many people seem to dislike the Hammond products due to issues with quality (both electrical/mechanical and cosmetic).

~Tom

I totally agree with this statement! I recently ordered a small Hammond power transformer and the paint on the endbells literally rubbed off with my finger. And the laminations were stacked crooked (not square). So I sent it back and was shipped a replacement. The second one I received seems to have better paint, but the laminations are even more out of square :mad:

I totally agree with this statement! I recently ordered a small Hammond power transformer and the paint on the endbells literally rubbed off with my finger. And the laminations were stacked crooked (not square). So I sent it back and was shipped a replacement. The second one I received seems to have better paint, but the laminations are even more out of square :mad:

The last Hammond power transformer I got was exactly the same. The quality keeps getting poorer and poorer. Cheaping out on copper in the primary is one thing, but there is no excuse for not even stacking them straight!!! The quality coming out of China is far better!

I got two transformers in that shipment. The other one was a similar type, but a more obscure, older model. The box was yellowed and dusty (clearly been on the shelf for a long time) and the transformer inside was of very good quality. Testament that they have clearly declined in quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.