• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1st post what can i build with this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi , this is my first foray into amplifier building, I have recapped a sherwood s8000iv but am still a little fuzzy with terminology etc.
I want to get better at understanding tube topology and function so I figure a build is the best way to figure some stuff out.
I have a shaub lorenz console for parts that used 12ax7's and ell80's etc. I have taken out the power transformer and the output trannies and have it available for other parts. it has no center tap and had a selenium rectifier but the hv put out 300v. there are three heater voltages measured 2 @ 8.75v and one at 3v. These seem a bit low so i could have read them wrong???
For tubes I have some nos and used mullards but the nos in pairs are... ecc82 ecl82 ecl80 pcl82 pcl83 el95(may be used) and a GIANT box of other stuff I haven't gone through yet.
I have a dynaco 410 and would consider building a small line stage preamp or I would be interested in a small clean se amp to plug my tt into and play over my jbl l-26 speakers (if they're efficient enough)

Is this doable and can you offer advice or plans?

there were 2 ell80 and 2 12ax7.
One has gas though(ell80) that's why I would like to work with some of my pairs, but I could find another ell80...

I also have three 6kd6's that may check out ok,

I have to compile a spreadsheet of the tubes I got so I can see what is useable. I have a sencore mighty mite 2, just an emission tester but it will help.

I really want to know what you all recommend, so thanks.
TTT

Though you can certainly build a phono preamp stage successfully, it's a lot easier to build an amp to work with CD-level signals. You can get away with a lot of 'bad' wiring techniques when you have 2v input signal; not so much with phono-levels (some mV?).
Lots of possibilities out there.
I don't focus too much on which tubes I have in my stash when picking a design- most common tubes aren't terribly expensive (I'm not talking 300B/2A3 here...); you have the iron and that's the most important thing to keep costs down.
If you can figure out the output transformer primary impedance, that can narrow your power tube choices for the project.
Keep us posted with what you decide!
John

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
there were 2 ell80 and 2 12ax7.
One has gas though(ell80) that's why I would like to work with some of my pairs, but I could find another ell80...

Too bad. I have some, but i'm not giving them up (yet anyway). An ELL80 is essentially 2 EL95 in 1 bottle. The reflected impedance that i have seen in amps using these is very high.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.