• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke orientation (Need help)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need help figuring out which way my chokes and transformer should be placed. I have a power transformer like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It has all wires coming out of a single opening in the case of the transformer. I'm not sure what kind of magnetic noise it makes. I also have 2 chokes like these:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I need to mount all three in my chassis and I was wondering how I should place them. They can only be mounted on the same panel, but they can be rotated to reduce noise.

Thank you!

I was actually more concerned about their relation to each other.

I thought that's what we were talking about. I guess you want an answer that doesn't require any experimentation?

"Put the laminations 90 degrees from each other".

Of course, this also applies to the output transformer. Sometimes you can put the choke under the chassis- this can help with cosmetics as well as possible interactions.

John

Mains chokes are THE WORST offender for creating fields....think about how much AC is dropped across the chokes??????? These should be located as far away as possible from anything!.......other TXs' OPTs'......signal wires , all of it.
If you can suspend these on plastic blocks at the far, far corners of the chassis.do so. Too bad we can't put them in outer space.they are that bad.

_____________________________________________________Rick.........

Mains chokes are THE WORST offender for creating fields....think about how much AC is dropped across the chokes??????? These should be located as far away as possible from anything!.......other TXs' OPTs'......signal wires , all of it.
If you can suspend these on plastic blocks at the far, far corners of the chassis.do so. Too bad we can't put them in outer space.they are that bad.

_____________________________________________________Rick.........

Unfortunately they have to be relatively close to my PSU PCBs. Should I get a piece of aluminum and try to make a box around them? That would ideally reduce the transfer of magnetic interference.

Unfortunately they have to be relatively close to my PSU PCBs. Should I get a piece of aluminum and try to make a box around them? That would ideally reduce the transfer of magnetic interference.

Not really... It would limit electrostatic fields provided that the box is grounded. But a simple 1.6 mm (1/16") sheet of aluminum does next to nothing to attenuate the magnetic field at audio frequencies. Now, if you make it several inches think, you might get enough attenuation to care. But your best bet is really to use mu-metal.

~Tom

Not really... It would limit electrostatic fields provided that the box is grounded. But a simple 1.6 mm (1/16") sheet of aluminum does next to nothing to attenuate the magnetic field at audio frequencies. Now, if you make it several inches think, you might get enough attenuation to care. But your best bet is really to use mu-metal.

~Tom

Is this some sort of tape that I wrap the coil with?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.