• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Inexpensive tube amplifier kits?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to see if I am not missing any inexpensive tube amplifier kits. So far I know about the following:

Oatley pre and headphone amplifier kits

S5 tube amplifier kits

Aikido amplifier kits

Any others out there? The criteria for this list is inexpensive (up to $250) and has to be kit (all parts included - except chassis, power and connectors).

I am still trying to decide what to build so I am researching. So far I am leaning toward S5 kit as it looks like the micro or low voltage tubes have their drawbacks (microphonic or expensive). This is just a fun build so if it is pre, headphone or amplifier, doesn't really matter. I can use any of them.

Thanks.

If you were extremely frugal, it might be possible to build Tubelab's Simple SE for that amount. Of course, this is not a kit, but it would probably be the most bang-for-the-buck introduction to tubes.

If you can stretch your budget, there is also Bottlehead's Single Ended eXperimenter's Kit for under $500. Personally, I'd go with the Simple SE in this price range, though.

About the lack of replies... There are few kits available (that I am aware of), and even fewer in that price range.

Edit: The Aikido you mentioned is a preamp. Are you looking for a preamp, power amp, or headphone amp? If preamp, look no farther than Aikido. If headphone amp, see this thread. If power amp, good luck...

Last edited:
It may be possible to build an "El Cheapo" (schematic attached) for $250, in spite of recent materials cost increases.

Jim McShane sells parts kits. The builder adds casework and magnetics. Suitable O/P trafos can be purchased from Edcor and a full set of power "iron" can be purchased from Allied Electronics, both at reasonable cost. I'll provide details, should interest be expressed.

The cost of magnetics is the big "hit" in building a tube based amp. The guitar amp O/P trafo shown in the schematic is no longer a bargain.

Attachments

• ElCheapo-23jun06-map.gif
    ElCheapo-23jun06-map.gif
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,044
Anyone? I guess all the 78 views are from hard core guys doing projects from scratch with point to point wiring :)

I think that is a good interpretation of the results. A chap named Ray Perry led a 6V6 amp contest with a $250 budget and I found it a stretch. Building with more expensive parts is just as troublesome as building with cheap ones and IMO the building/fabrication process is the most expensive/troublesome part. Buying parts is comparitively painless...:)

A $4-500 budget will yeild a fine set of amps with a fairly simple circuit.
cheers,
Douglas

IMO the building/fabrication process is the most expensive/troublesome part. Buying parts is comparitively painless...:

I share this opinion. The low ball way to do chassis construction is to build or re-purpose a wooden box and then place a sheet metal or aluminum panel over the open top of the box. Aluminum is quite nice to work with. These can be simple or elegant depending on your creativity and abilities with wood. If you buy a circuit card from Pete Millet for instance, that mounts to the panel after you cut the holes and you are on your way. You can get a quad of russian 7189s for about $20 on ebay from delax777mechanics (or something like that). Buy your pieces from mouser. Get some power and output transformers from an old $40 magnavox console stereo, maybe a tube set if you are lucky. I think you can get it done for $250.

Good luck.

Can you say Organ Amplifier??? Search on our fave auction site. You can easily get something with the tubes and chassis and iron for well under $250 no problemo.
It can be tricky finding a unit with two identical output transformers, and buying two on 'bay and paying shipping would get up in price quickly. It's a rare seller (IME) who can pack a heavy amp and tubes and get it to you without breakage.
Keeping your eyes peeled for local giveaway (C-List or similar) electric tube organs can be a solution, if you have a truck or trailer and some strong friends, and a good local dump/recycling place for the leftovers.

John

I have built the K-502 kit offered by Antique Electronic Supply and am now putting the final touches on a K-16LS from S5 Electronics. I have about $300.00 into the K-502. I upgraded some of the capacitors and used a Hammond aluminum chassis enclosed with a oak cabinet. It sounds great!(pictures on Audiokarma website in the DIY gallery under my riverrat373 moniker) The K-16LS has cost me about $450.00 so far because I did many upgrades including etched front and rear panels done by Front Panel Express. I plan to post pictures of the K-16LS here and on the Audiokarma forum when finished. :D

Last edited:
I'm the chap who organized the under $200 amp competition. Take a look at
6V6 Entries for some ideas.

The winner's cost was just under $150. By the way, all entries had to be housed in something that came from Ikea.

All the entries were single ended. Push-pull was just too hard to do for under $200.

This year we are having a line stage for under $100, tubes from Russia and mounted in something from Target. Line Stage Competition

We try to have fun.

ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.