Inexpensive tube amplifier kits? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2011, 06:55 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Can you say Organ Amplifier??? Search on our fave auction site. You can easily get something with the tubes and chassis and iron for well under $250 no problemo.
Old 6th February 2011, 08:48 AM   #12
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I built my 6LU8 Spud for around that amount. It's not a kit, but it's fairly easy to build with point-to-point wiring (I did that for the prototype).

~Tom
Old 6th February 2011, 09:43 AM   #13
eeyore is offline eeyore  Australia
diyAudio Member

Recommend Bottlehead, as the manual is excellent and the quality of design is quite good. Good forum support as well. Heard some good things about the Elekit. Built the Decware Zen as well, and that was good also. But depends what you want to achieve and budget.
Old 6th February 2011, 07:46 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvistordave View Post
Can you say Organ Amplifier??? Search on our fave auction site. You can easily get something with the tubes and chassis and iron for well under $250 no problemo.
It can be tricky finding a unit with two identical output transformers, and buying two on 'bay and paying shipping would get up in price quickly. It's a rare seller (IME) who can pack a heavy amp and tubes and get it to you without breakage.
Keeping your eyes peeled for local giveaway (C-List or similar) electric tube organs can be a solution, if you have a truck or trailer and some strong friends, and a good local dump/recycling place for the leftovers.

John
Old 7th February 2011, 07:29 PM   #15
maurycy is offline maurycy  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for all the replies. Now, I have a lot more to read and few other options to chose from. One thing is sure, I am staying with kit or at least printed PCB since working on point-to-point is beyond my knowledge.
Old 12th February 2011, 02:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have built the K-502 kit offered by Antique Electronic Supply and am now putting the final touches on a K-16LS from S5 Electronics. I have about $300.00 into the K-502. I upgraded some of the capacitors and used a Hammond aluminum chassis enclosed with a oak cabinet. It sounds great!(pictures on Audiokarma website in the DIY gallery under my riverrat373 moniker) The K-16LS has cost me about $450.00 so far because I did many upgrades including etched front and rear panels done by Front Panel Express. I plan to post pictures of the K-16LS here and on the Audiokarma forum when finished.

Last edited by riverrat373; 12th February 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12th February 2011, 02:37 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

For photos of my K-502 go here..K-502 amp - Audiokarma.org Photo Gallery Click on the photos for a larger view.
Old 12th February 2011, 12:51 PM   #18
ratbagp is offline ratbagp  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm the chap who organized the under $200 amp competition. Take a look at
6V6 Entries for some ideas.

The winner's cost was just under $150. By the way, all entries had to be housed in something that came from Ikea.

All the entries were single ended. Push-pull was just too hard to do for under $200.

This year we are having a line stage for under $100, tubes from Russia and mounted in something from Target. Line Stage Competition

We try to have fun.

ray
Old 12th February 2011, 02:09 PM   #19
maurycy is offline maurycy  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow those are some good designs. I can probably utilize some of the toys and containers that my kids have and never play with. That would save me a bundle as the cases are usually very expensive.
Old 13th February 2011, 08:10 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

There's a nice one in the swap meet section.

FS: Vacuum Tube Monoblock Power Amp Kit

Hide this!Advertise here!