How calculate cathode LEDs biased - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question How calculate cathode LEDs biased

How can I calculate cathode LEDs biased for 6922 & 26?
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

There is nothing to calculate. Once you determine desired voltage drop, which you do precisely the same way for any biasing method (by reading the number off the chart, given a pre-selected loadline) you pick a suitable LED (Vf of LED = -Vg of tube) and make sure you don't exceed its rated current for operation (which with preamplifier tube such as 6922 you won't).
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:22 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You can also approach it from the opposite direction. For example, since I know that cheap red LEDs (Vf = 1.7V) tend to have among the lowest dynamic impedances, I might look for bias points that are multiples of 1.7.
Old 3rd February 2011, 02:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I suppose that I have to measure the voltage drop across cathode resistor to know the voltage and current needed & after change for LEDs, that's OK?
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnulf View Post
There is nothing to calculate. Once you determine desired voltage drop, which you do precisely the same way for any biasing method (by reading the number off the chart, given a pre-selected loadline) you pick a suitable LED (Vf of LED = -Vg of tube) and make sure you don't exceed its rated current for operation (which with preamplifier tube such as 6922 you won't).
Vg 6992 -1V?
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

That's a pretty low bias voltage- you're edging close to the grid current region. An IR LED will get you close- 1.1-1.2V, but you might want to go higher for the same of linearity and headroom.
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have these LEDs 1.8V 20mA on hand, can I use only one?

VAOL-3HCE4 VCC Standard LED - Through Hole
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Looking at the datasheet, the dynamic impedance seems to be about 25 ohms- that's higher than you'd want. A cheap red LED will give you 5 ohms or less.
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Can you put an AC decoupling cap parallel with the LEDs?

Hide this!Advertise here!