6p14p(EL84) SE with 6n6p build jurnal - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking 6p14p(EL84) SE with 6n6p build jurnal

Ok so i got my hands on a few russians:
-4x 6p14p
-1x 6n6p
-1x 6n2p-ev

I'm new to this field. I do not have much experience with electronics so i will need some help.

First step is obvious....chosing a schematic:

Right now i have my eye on this schematic( triode/pentode operating mode)

Click the image to open in full size.

I welcome any sugestion about this schematic or other schematics.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I linked someone to that schematic a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't greeted with much enthusiasm by the regulars on this forum. The schematic is most likely a guitar amp offering high gain...and high distortion.

Alternatives that are much better sounding (apparently; I haven't built either) can be found here:
Simple EL84 poweramp/integrated (push pull, which is no problem since you have 4 6p14p's)
http://www.decware.com/se84cschematic.pdf (single ended triode mode; less power, more expensive output transformer, but I'd prefer to build this one myself)
Old 1st February 2011, 11:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well i can get a ton more 6p14p's...but i'm gonna stick to a SE for the moment. PP will be my next project .
I will read more about the zen project.
Look at this one also. It's made by a guy from my country...and it seems that he knows a few thing about tube amps :P....but looks hard to build...
Attached Images
File Type: gif Schema_ADEVARATA SE EL84.GIF (71.4 KB, 778 views)
Old 1st February 2011, 12:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That should work as well, but you'll have to find the appropriate OPT with the feedback taps. I guess they're not too common these days, but I'm not sure.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm gonna build them anyway :P. Me ....or someone with a little more experience ).
I can get a pair of simpel ot's for ~ 40E or less
Old 1st February 2011, 12:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you use the 'Valderama' circuit shown above, you will need to add feedback from the secondary side of the OPT. Hence, the circuit will require some modification. I'd personally stick to the tried and tested decware amp. You could modify it to use the 6n6p.

Sounds like a good deal on the transformers, you got any specs of those?
Old 1st February 2011, 01:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

well the ot will be custom made anyway. maybe i can have them done by the same guy ho made the schematic :P.
do you know what power rating can i get from the decware schematic ? I love the fact that it is so simple....
Old 1st February 2011, 01:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The decware SE will put out about 2W max, which is enough for efficient bookshelf speakers. For comparison: I'm currently using a badly designed 2x6AQ5 PP triode amp in my living room that will put out no more than about 750mW, which is enough to reach quite neighbor-unfriendly sound levels You could get a bit more than 2W out of a single tube if you run it in pentode mode, but you'd need to add feedback. If you want more power, you can go push-pull and go up to about 10W with two output tubes.

Quote:
well the ot will be custom made anyway. maybe i can have them done by the same guy ho made the schematic :P.
In that case, the Valderama circuit would be an interesting thing to try. I'm also interested to hear what other members of the forum think of that circuit.
Old 1st February 2011, 06:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

any other opinions about valderama's schematic here ?
Old 1st February 2011, 07:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I noticed this thread and thought I would add a little about the Decware Zen Amp. We purchased a DIY Zkit1 amp and found it very easy to build. It is like the SE84 link shown on this site. It only has the two SV83 tubes and one 6n1p tube. It has produced 2.3w/channel at full volume. We are using it for an amp to test speakers built due to it's small size. When testing the desktop speakers, which are 90dB @ 1/W, we realized how much 2watts/channel can be. We will have it turned up to 12 o'clock on the volume dial and it's loud enough to wake the wife without giving out. This kit is bridgeable (5w/channel) and can be modified for use with a rectifier tube like in the SE84C. The ot's do not have specs on them but they are custom made for Decware.
This amp has been solid by far with many hours put on it. One nice part about the amp for testing is the load can very from 2ohms to 8ohms.
With all of that said, this is a fun little DIY project anyone can do. Even if you haven't slung solder before. It's $300 and comes with the power transformer, two output transformers and the PC board with parts, volume knob, input connections, mounting screws, and binding posts. A solid purchase.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CDIY.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!