Oscilloscope - Which one should I get ? What to look for? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2012, 10:26 PM   #61
Simon B is offline Simon B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Try to make sure you get the full manual, including schematic, either when you buy, or better still, before you buy.

Boat Anchor Manual Archive

is great for this - they don't have everything, but they have a lot, and it's free, done for the love of it. They have moved in the past, if they move again, search. New stuff is still being added and contributions are very welcome.

Hopefully you won't need to do major repairs, but it's good to know you've got the schematic, I've certainly learnt useful stuff from them and I'm sure I use my scope better for having studied it.

Don't worry too much about bandwidth, you''ll pay through the nose for something decent that really goes high enough to see all the possible oscillations you could run into - mostly things like that change dramatically when you put a probe on them anyway, so think sideways a bit...

But do get one. Or two. I'd hate to be without one.
Old 11th May 2012, 05:42 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Tektronix scopes are common enough to be had a very good prices-just look for the ones that have been calabrated and hopefully have some probes included. Parts are readly avaliabe though.
Old 11th May 2012, 07:01 AM   #63
akis is offline akis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Are we agreed that all oscilloscope probes are earthed and that in order to measure a floating voltage you'd have to use two probes and the "add" curve function, thus losing one channel ?
Old 11th May 2012, 07:09 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Is there a specific reason that everybody seems to steer clear from the cheap digital scopes?
With all the functions and automatic measurements they have now, they look very usefull to me. I use a few years old rigol, (with build in logic analyzer) and i like it a lot.
Paid 300euro for it. But if I had to buy now I would probably go for this: Oscilloscopes - Eleshop
The 2*100Mhz one from owon is only 450. I friend of mine has it and he likes it very much.

I really like the auto setting, but the measurements function is super. Avg,pp rms...everything just in your display. Also the mathematics.... Really nice for evaluating fase splitters...

Paul
Old 11th May 2012, 07:16 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akis View Post
Are we agreed that all oscilloscope probes are earthed and that in order to measure a floating voltage you'd have to use two probes and the "add" curve function, thus losing one channel ?
Better to think that the probes are wired to the scope chassis.

This is normally mains earth, but can be floated using an isolation transformer.

Cliff

I use a 2Mhz Tek 500 series for all audio work. It has a very fine trace, nice big screen and various plugins, including true differential. <100

For anything faster I use a 100Mhz HP.
Old 11th May 2012, 07:18 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akis View Post
This technique will only work if the amount the voltage is floating at is within the range of the scope amplifier.Or you are AC coupled.
Old 13th May 2012, 05:50 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manp111 View Post
I am looking into getting a oscilloscope.
I don't know how to use one and have no idea what to look for. I simply know that Tektronix is popular.

I will use it for mostly tube audio gear. I don't mind spending a little money for a good scope. I don't really care for fancy stuff.
the most important thing to look for is the high voltage input capability. bandwidth and other fancy stuff is not that important

like this one i just pulled off a parts vendor site:

Tenma 100 MHz Oscilloscope with Cursor Readout | 18C2258 | Tenma
Old 19th April 2013, 01:24 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Default Scopex 4s6

Bought on E-bay for 6. Needed some "TLC" but seems to be working find. What can I use this for as this is my first oscilloscope?
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks.
Richard.
Old 19th April 2013, 04:27 PM   #69
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

This looks like a good intro to oscilloscopes:
How to use an Oscilloscope :: Electronics and Radio Today

Some of it doesn't apply to your Scopex as it's a really rudimentary scope. You won't need probes, for example. Still a 1 MHz scope like the Scopex can be useful to measure amplifier gain, bandwidth, transient response, and for troubleshooting circuits. For 16 GPB, it's hard to beat on price, that's for sure. Once you get more comfortable with it, you can decide if you want to spring for something fancier.

~Tom
Old 19th April 2013, 09:57 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Default scopex 4s6

Thanks Tom.
Taken onboard all yours comment.
Best regards.
Richard.

Hide this!Advertise here!