"Jonokuchi" - new desktop amp, or "Little red board"? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2011, 01:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "Jonokuchi" - new desktop amp, or "Little red board"?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Just posted a new design... a desktop headphone/speaker amp using 13EM7's. Nothing exotic this time, just a simple amp targeted at the beginner. And of course the PCB is also RED.

BTW, "Jonokuchi" refers to the lowest rank of sumo wrestlers. Roughly translated, it means "just beginning". At least I hope so, or I may be embarassed...

Jonokuchi desktop amp

Pete
Old 1st February 2011, 02:29 AM   #2
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Cool!

er.. How did you do the lettering on the front panel? Is that done by FPE too?

..Todd

Last edited by taj; 1st February 2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 1st February 2011, 04:11 AM   #3
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

That's just awesome! I would love to make a Spud amp!
Old 1st February 2011, 05:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Beautiful. If you were building for headphone use only, would you still select the same OTs?
Old 1st February 2011, 08:36 AM   #5
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Fantastic, I love the styling
Old 1st February 2011, 12:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj View Post
How did you do the lettering on the front panel? Is that done by FPE too?
Yup, it was engraved by FPE. The Japanese Kanji were a little bit of a pain... I had to turn it into an image file, then make it into HPGL to insert an HPGL engraving object. FPE asked me for the original image file to clean it up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Dave View Post
Beautiful. If you were building for headphone use only, would you still select the same OTs?
It depends on how much I was willing to spend. The Edcors are great for the price, but are a little compromised at the extreme HF and LF. If cost were no object, I'd consider one of Sowter's headphone transformers, I think...
Old 1st February 2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

simply Fugly !

Old 1st February 2011, 02:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you were building for headphone use only, would you still select the same OTs?.......The Edcors are great for the price, but are a little compromised at the extreme HF and LF. If cost were no object, I'd consider one of Sowter's headphone transformers, I think...
I personally don't like headphones since my head sweats too much to wear them for more than a few minutes at a time. I have built headphone amps for friends. If the physical apperance is not a factor I would look at the cheap Edcor XSE series. I have used them in amps making under 2 WPC for use with speakers or headphones. I measured the frequency response of an XSE15-8-5K at 1 watt. It goes from 8.3Hz to 45.9KHz with 50mA of current, and 16.6Hz to 45.6KHz with 80 mA (+/- 3db). Edcor doesn't make the 15 watt version in impedances higher than 5K, which is what I used in my 6EM7 amp. The 25 watt version is available in 7.6K but I haven't tried it.

Of course you can find several transformers to use with headphones if your budget allows.

Pete has a new red board.......how many watts can I crank out of this one......I already know the answer, since I built a similar amp a while back, but those who understand SE amps and understand Mr. Ohm already know too.
Old 1st February 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Little brother to the "other" Red Board....neat!
Old 1st February 2011, 03:22 PM   #10
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
*Sigh*...another project I will feel compelled to build. Resist, resist....

Hide this!Advertise here!