• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Jonokuchi" - new desktop amp, or "Little red board"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One last quick question. In the beginning I will be running this amp into a pair of 8 ohm 91db bookshelf speakers. After I build a phono pre-amp I plan to upgrade, possibly build, a better set of speakers. Is the specked GXSE10-8-8k (which I can't find on their website) still the desirable OPT or should I look for another one?

Regards,
Dale

Would you mind teaching me why this is? The Jeff Bagby Continuum speakers have a solid 8 ohm impedance so on a 4-ohm tap why would this not be a 10K transformer? And for 300 ohm headphones on a 4-ohm tap why would this not double the impedance of the transformer compared to an 8-ohm tap?

Here's an image of an output transformer's impedance with the secondaries shorted, open, and appropriately loaded.

You can see that in the open loading scenario, the impedance has a huge hump in the middle of the pass band and dips down to barely more than the loaded line at either frequency extreme. If you have a triode operating with an Rp of 2K and you select an output transformer that is 6K or more, then you are not going to see much of a gain variation across that giant hump in the unloaded scenario. If you take the 2K Rp of the beefier half of the 6DN7, you'd want each end of the hump to be at about 6K. If you have a 5K transformer, and worse maybe a 5K transformer that is already much less than 5K at 20Hz, when you run it unloaded with too much Rp driving it, you will hear that uneven response far more.

Attachments

• transformer loading.jpg
    transformer loading.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 85
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.