• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Jonokuchi" - new desktop amp, or "Little red board"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can I ask what the 100ohm resistor from OT secondary to ground is for?

Thanks

Well, let's just call it a "paranoia resistor". It probably does not need to be there at all.

My concern was that it's possible to have the secondary of the OPT unloaded, either when no speaker is connected, or as you switch between speakers and headphones. The plate resistance of the 6EM7 is so low - it should control the primary voltage swing well even without any load - that I can't envision any transients big enough to hurt anything, but for the price of a couple resistors, I put them there.

Pete

The plate resistance of the 6EM7 is so low - it should control the primary voltage swing well even without any load - that I can't envision any transients big enough to hurt anything, but for the price of a couple resistors, I put them there.

It has been stated that running a tube amp with no load can blow it up. This can be very true, I have seen guitar amps catch fire when the speaker gets unplugged or blows (open voice coil).

In my experience an SE amp under normal conditions does not experience this type of failure since there is always current flowing through the primary. However driving an SE amp to clipping with no load causes the primary current to abruptly cease, which generates a kilovolt level spike, possibly zapping an OPT. A resistor across the secondary is good insurance at the cost of a few milliwatts of output power.

At a cost of just a few milliwatts of power, I'm surprised not to see it in most designs.

A simple resistor across the speaker terminals is good insurance especially in a low or moderate powered SE amp. It is not sufficient to save the OPT in a high powered P-P amp that is capable of being severely clipped. This means most guitar amps over 40 watts and maybe Petes other red board when someone hot rods it to 125 WPC. I have seen diodes, zeners, transient suppressors, gas discharge tubes, and resistors used alone or in combination in attempts to save OPT's from their users. Nothing is 100% foolproof though.

I'm still debating which output transformer to get. Anyone know any other brand that offers affordable(around $100/pair) 8K SE output transformers? Transcendar only have 3K and 5K versions available. Electraprints are out of question since I wish to make this amp under $300(excluding chassis etc).

Anyone know any other brand that offers affordable(around $100/pair) 8K SE output transformers?

Good luck. The only guys I might think would be able to deliver something in that price range would be vt4c.com. Look in their "Mars" single ended line. I don't see anything on their web site, but an email might be worthwhile. They're made in China, and I'd expect they could wind up anything you might need if sufficiently motivated.

I have 1n4007's. Or should I just order and wait?

1N4007 will work fine. It might induce some noise... if you hear a buzz, replace them with SiC rectifiers.

I also have an 8h choke 150ohm 125ma that I would like to use instead of r5. Is there an easy way to drop the b+ back where it needs to be?

You might not need to do anything - if it's 150 ohms you will be pretty close. Try it!

Pete

Might the choke also help stifle some of the noise he could get from the slow 1N4007 diodes?

It might, though sometimes diode recovery noise gets around by capacitive or magnetic coupling... if that happens the only way to get rid of it is to spread things out, or remove it at the source. Quite often it couples across the power transformer to the filament winding, then capacitively to the cathodes...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.