B&K Tube Tester - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2011, 06:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default B&K Tube Tester

I have a B&K 700 tester,I purchased awhile back,and was testing some tubes the other day in the Quick-check section,and noticed that when I press the test 1 button or the test 2,the meter Deflects in the opposite direction,the bottom switch section seems to work OK,does anyone know what might be the problem? I did notice one thing when I opened the unit,one of the #55 bulbs was out,would this have anything to do with the problem?

Last edited by denny9167; 31st January 2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 31st January 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello, I have a few similar units and I can tell you that those bulbs are ESSENTIAL to the unit functioning properly, they are part of a circuit that automatically adjusts the meter for line voltage fluctuations. Its a good idea to hard wire them in as the push-n-turn bulb holders can have intermittent contact after a while due to corrosion. Its also a really good I idea to replace all of the electrolytics ( especially the one across the meter terminals) for accurate readings. The rectifier tube can be replaced with SS diodes as well. HTH
Old 31st January 2011, 08:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

+1

That is your problem. I always solder the bulb in place. If you don't the unit will not hold calibration.

Hide this!Advertise here!