Pentron tube microphone mixer/preamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2011, 04:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pentron tube microphone mixer/preamp

I found this Pentron MM4 microphone mixer and would like to try using it for recording. It has 4 channels each going through one section of a 12ax7. I thought I would try the circuit as is and then simply wire 2 channels with cascading gain each through 2 sections of 12ax7 with 2 outputs instead of 1.

I dont have much experience with this but understand some basics. I have not tested it yet. I will definitely replace the power cord with a 3 prong and most likely the filter and cathode bias caps. should the selenium rectifier be replaced? How do you do that without changing the B+ voltage?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome thanks for your help

mm4.jpg
Old 30th January 2011, 05:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Selenium rectifiers are problem areas. I would at least see if it's okay but know that you'll eventually have to replace it. While it's still working, measure the B+. Replace it with a silicon diode (1N4007) and series resistor, which you adjust to restore the proper B+. In fact, set it for about 5% low because of the slow increase of power line voltage over the years.
Old 30th January 2011, 06:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This mixer uses high impedance mixing and should therefore only be fed into something with a high input impedance - 500K or more to be safe.

Replace the selenium rectifier. The increase in HT voltage will not materially affect the circuit operation in this case.

Cheers

Ian
Old 30th January 2011, 07:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The diode gets matched up with striped side same side where + would be on the selenium rectifier?

I'll be plugging the output of the mixer into my Presonus firebox which has 2 xlr balanced (1300ohm) preamp ins, 2 instrument (1M) preamp ins and 2 balanced line ins (10k). So I'll use the instrument ins, correct?

If say I wanted to make a 2 channel preamp out of this, one side being XLR microphone and the other being a tube DI maybe I would want to put a transformer on the XLR side so I could plug a SM57 into it or even add phantom power...what would be a cheap but decent transformer to add? I don't want to go too crazy with this project but a 1 channel mic pre and tube DI for bass would be really cool and useful for home recording projects...
Old 30th January 2011, 10:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
100K pots loaded on 300K resistors, it is fine for them. If you load 330K on zero ohm you can get theoretically best summing: less dependence between channels, trade off: less gain.
Old 30th January 2011, 11:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Transformers, well cheap and decent don't generally coexist.

It's common to use a high input impedance regardless of source. However, low source impedance means small voltages and consequent low output with more noise. A cheaper way is to make an amplifier rather than use a transformer.

And yes that's the correct direction for the diode.

I think the output of your new preamplifier will be too much for the instrument input of the power amplifier. Best to use one of the balanced line inputs; you can safely ground one side of the balanced input.
Old 31st January 2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Jim W is offline Jim W  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd agree with replacing the caps and the rectifier, but would probably use a better diode than a 1N4007. A BYV26E fast recovery diode will set you back a whole nineteen cents at Newark.

Don't electrocute yourself.
Jim
Old 31st January 2011, 05:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you load 330K on zero ohm you can get theoretically best summing: less dependence between channels
Should work in practice too, just by adding an anodefollower with another 12AX7 at the output. Try Rfb 200-300kohm. Cga could maybe be a problem though.
Old 1st February 2011, 07:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you make this for stereo I would split the cathode connections to one 4.8k resistor for each section bypassed with a 25 mfd cap. That is 1200 ohms times 4 , for 4 tubes to maintain the same bias and reduce crosstalk between channels.
Replace the selenium rectifier too.
Hope this helps
Ed
Old 1st February 2011, 07:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks that seems like a good idea. Why is that a good idea exactly? does it just help to keep each section properly biased?

If I cascade the gain stages can I just take from right after the 330k resistor following gain control right into the grid of the second stage?

Hide this!Advertise here!