• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

faulty audioromy 6550 no output and very faith sound please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have just bought a Audioromy 6550 valve amps. From china and its faulty on arrival as there is very little customer service when buying from china I really need some help.

It powers on fine and lights up and I’ve tried all the different connections / configurations but all I can get is very faint sound of music no matter which input is selected. Some sound is coming through but very very faint and only when turned up fully.

Do you have any idea what is wrong with it or what I should test on it.

Heres a couple of sample photos of what it looks like, double click them to enlarge.

www.ohmyshutter.com:

Anyone possibly help, im desperate to get it going ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Oh well, it was worth a shot as I have seen the mis-voltages many times with those chinese amplifiers. I personally don't have any experience with that particular amplifier, but it looks to have sufficient input stages for a tuner, CD player etc. Without a schematic, I guess we're up the creek without a paddle.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi,

If you have tried everything else you need to post a schematic or link to one! Then we can tell you what to test and take it from there. Are both channels the same? Are all heaters on? I assume there is no mute switch Etc?

Regards
M. Gregg

All the tubes light up. I think I need someone to have a look at it.

Does anyone know anyone who does repairs near Pembrokeshire, West Wales or I am in Port Talbot quite a bit, could possibly take it to someone there or anywhere on route.

Last edited:
more info on the amp

Of the tubes themselves the bigger 6550 are very hot you cant touch them even for a split second. The valves at the front are three small tubes, two on the outside 5963 and the one in the middle is 6N4 and they all light up. When I first assembled it and plugged it in I didn’t realize that they where different and I put the middle valve the 6N4 on the end, would this have caused a problem? I have put them in the right positions now though and they do all light up as they should.

Anyway out of these tubes the two outer ones are very hot and you cant touch but the one in the middle the 6N4 is lit up and hotish but you can actually hold in between your fingers when on is this normal?

Of the tubes themselves the bigger 6550 are very hot you cant touch them even for a split second. The valves at the front are three small tubes, two on the outside 5963 and the one in the middle is 6N4 and they all light up. When I first assembled it and plugged it in I didn’t realize that they where different and I put the middle valve the 6N4 on the end, would this have caused a problem? I have put them in the right positions now though and they do all light up as they should.

Anyway out of these tubes the two outer ones are very hot and you cant touch but the one in the middle the 6N4 is lit up and hotish but you can actually hold in between your fingers when on is this normal?

The large valves 'should' be too hot to touch...

So long as the anodes are not glowing red, and its just the heaters glowing they are prolly OK...

The smaller valves may get too hot to touch, depends on its type and dissipation

The top tube diagram is a 5963
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Notes:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]* - Parallel filaments[/FONT]

Medium Mu Triode
TypeSubstitutesBase Diagram6N4
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
This one is a 6N4. They are different pinouts, so how could you have accidentally put the 9 pin tube in a 7 pin socket?

EDIT: The diagrams were taken from Nostalgia Air website. Don't know if they are correct or not, but I plugged in the numbers corrosponding to the OP's numbers.

Last edited:

Are you sure about the valve being a 6N4, most Chinese amps use 6N1, 6N2, or 6N3. It is important to know, as you have swapped them and the 6N3 has completely different pinout to the others. Quite possible for damage to have occurred to either valve or amp if they were swapped.

Gary

Fault found !

Fault found ! Thanks to everyone for help and especially murray johnson on www.hifiwigwam.com

He was right on the money, I removed the selector switch did some testes across it and nothing. Had a fiddle and made a connection and the amp is now singing like a budgie. A big thanks to everyone for the support I really appreciate it. All I have to do now is find a new three way switch for the input selector.

Haven't tested with my proac’s yet only the bench speakers but its working now for sure.

Murray you are the man !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.