• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Amplifier output wattage test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

There is no standard input level to test amps. Each amp has different gain. 2V will drive some amps beyond clipping and others not.
If you want to determine the max output wattage. Increase the input signal until the distortion reaches the limit you want to test at. then measure output watts

Thomas

Thanks for the reply. If I understand correctly, you are saying that if an amp has an input attenuator, turn it up all the way to minimum resistance, then increase the input level of my function generator to the point right before distortion of the waveform?

Increase the input signal until the distortion reaches the limit you want to test

In order to make valid comparisons pick a common number like 3% or 5% for an SE amp and measure the distortion at that level. If equipment is available I usually make a graph of distortion VS power output starting at a low level like 10 mW or 100 mW. Many people (including myself) believe that the first watt is the most important since that is where you hear 95% of the music unless your speakers are really inneficient. Therefore distortion at 100mW and at 1W are important numbers.

Other important specs are power bandwidth, frequency response, and residual noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.