aikido heater voltage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2011, 03:40 PM   #1
evanc is online now evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Default aikido heater voltage

I recently built the aikido 9 pin all in one kit.
Aikido 9-Pin All in One Kit
I used 6CG7 tubes. The transformer heater output is 6.3vac. I have one thing that I need some help on. With the tubes out I get 6.3vdc at the heaters as I should. But with the tubes installed the heater voltage drops to 5.5v. The heaters are referenced to 1/4B+. B+ is just over 300v and the heater reference is at 73v. I have been listening like this and the preamp seems to work fine. I just wasn't sure if I needed to address something.
Thanks, Evan
Old 26th January 2011, 03:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

As long as the transformer doesn't run too hot (you're obviously running it at a higher load than it is intended for), you should be ok. Heater voltage is a bit on the low side, but as long as overall performance is as desired, there should be nothing to worry about.
Old 26th January 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
PWR RYD is offline PWR RYD  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon View Post
As long as the transformer doesn't run too hot (you're obviously running it at a higher load than it is intended for), you should be ok. Heater voltage is a bit on the low side, but as long as overall performance is as desired, there should be nothing to worry about.
Hoping I'm not hijacking this thread, but what if the opposite was true. What if the filament winding was underloaded and the heater voltage was more like 7 Vrms? I know a simple resistor in series can be used to drop the 0.7 V, but is it necessary? Would the higher voltage shorten the tubes life? Thanks.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:12 PM   #4
jgf is offline jgf  United States
diyAudio Member

It'll work ok with +/- 5% heater voltage, but once you get too far beyond that it won't be optimal. Also, it looks like that's a regulated heater supply on that board, It's likely its dropping out of regulation at low voltage. You might have better luck configuring as a voltage doubler for 12.6 volts, if the board has that option.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

7 volts is about as high as my voltage is low. The secondary windings in my transformer are each rated at 4amps. I have the 2 windings paralleled...I don't believe I'm overloading the transformer......
Old 26th January 2011, 08:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Whoa whoa. All you have is an Aikido preamp and it is dragging 8 amps worth of 6.3V down to 5.5V? Somethings not right. What is the primary rating? How sure are you that the secondaries are 6.3V and identical? I would double check that for sure. Could be that 1 winding is actually 5V or that the windings are indeed 6.3V but different VA rating.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

jgf,
Yes the board allows for a voltage doubler. It seemed counterintuitive to me to bring the voltage to 12.6 and then regulate it down to 6.3....but maybe this is what I need to do.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am using this transformer.
http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/AN-2T230.pdf
I ran the heaters on one winding and two. Same result...
Old 26th January 2011, 08:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

evanc: Not exactly what I meant... some Aikido boards have jumpers to put 6.3v heaters in series for use with 12.6v supply. What are the specs of the transformer you are using? By the way, I had a similar issue with my build when using 6.3v heaters, the reason 12.6 is easier is there is a smaller fraction of 12.6 lost to diode drop than 6.3, IIRC.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Oh I see, 2 windings. It would be worth a try to put them in series for 12.6v. Leadbelly may be right though, maybe something's wrong there. Double check the heater regulator circuit, especially the voltage setting resistor on the reg.

Hide this!Advertise here!