• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Preamp pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frankly i do not posses much knowledge about these things, So any help is welcome.
The amp i am building is 500 watts amp.
i have heard solid state things, and now want to feel the musicality of tubes.
some help on what to look for will help me in deciding.

Over the weekend, I built a VERY simple pre-amp using a minimal number of components. To my ears, it's very transparent. At the moment I'm feeding it into a cheap Samson reference amplifier powering a pair of MS 816 speakers and it knocks spots off the old Technics hi fi amp that used to sit in my living room.

Most of the components can be soldered direct to the valve bases, and I used a piece of Veroboard for the power supply.
E80F/EF86 pre-amp

If you buy the RS (Indian) transformers, be prepared to experiment with the secondary phasing. I thought 0-22 + 0-22 meant what it said but I had to swap a few wires around to get true 0-22 + 0-22. With no load attached you will not do any harm. It's a simple case of testing the windings to make sure that they are adding together and not anti-phase.

My first attempt gave me 15V DC - great for 9 x 22 V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.