Strange Problem In Tube Amp Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2011, 03:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Strange Problem In Tube Amp Build

...or maybe it is more common and I don't know how to search for it properly...

so...long time lurker, blah, blah...

Anyway, I just finished building an 18w amp with my own design for the 2 preamps. Channel 1 is simply a single gain stage 12ax7 and Channel 2 is a 3 gain stage trainwreck style with the eq right after stage 1.

The amp sounds amazing but the issue i am having is when the gain for either channel is turned all the way down, the guitar signal still comes through the amp fairly loud. It is really dark and has very little distortion, and when I turn up the gain for either channel it is like the signal engages and acts/sounds normal. I have literally torn the thing apart to find the problem and have traced it to the second or third gain stage on the trainwreck style pre (does not do it when only the first gainstage is running), but no matter what I do I cannot get rid of the blasted signal when the gain is down.

I mean, it is kind of cool in that it can be used as an effect, and I can kill all of the signal by rolling off the guitar volume pot, but this is freaking annoying.

Any ideas?

Last edited by nogoodnamesleft; 25th January 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 25th January 2011, 04:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi, Most likely you have the volume / gain pot wired incorrectly or the pot is faulty in that it does not go to "0"; there is some residual resistance left when turned all the way down.
Looking at the pot with the shaft pointed towards you, left most lug is ground, center lug goes to the next stage, and right most lug is the "hot" signal.
If you could post a schematic, that would help.
Daniel
Old 25th January 2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Banned

It could be crosstalk.

When you say "Turn the Gain down", do you mean turn the input volume potentiometer to the GND end or literally turn down the gain. If you mean the latter then the amplifier will still have some gain even in the minimum gain position.
Old 25th January 2011, 04:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

the pots are all wired correctly...and when I simply use the first gainstage in the trainwreck prethe issue goes away. The gain pot is right after the first gain stage and there are no pots after the first gain stage.

i don't have a schematic on my computer (it is handwritten) but maybe it will help to at least show you a schematic it is similar to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-01-25 at 10.25.50 AM.jpg (80.2 KB, 144 views)
Old 25th January 2011, 04:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Andy...I have the pot wired to ground...so I am shorting the whole signal. Signal still comes through.
Old 25th January 2011, 04:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yea - sounds like either a faulty pot or there is another path for the signal other than through the pot. Get access to the pot with no connections at all to it. Measure from both of the outside terminals to the center connection while adjusting the pot to its extreams. You might find a "bump or dead spot".
Old 25th January 2011, 04:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i tested the pot through only the first gain stage and it worked perfectly...i don't think the pot is the problem
Old 25th January 2011, 04:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It's also likely that with that much gain, the signal could be capacitively coupling between various circuits in the wiring, so that some of the signal is literally bypassing the volume control. Try removing (shorting out) the 820 ohm grid resistor and see if that doesn't help the matter. That will make sure that grid is truly grounded when the control is turned to minimum.

Dave
Old 25th January 2011, 05:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

In the actual preamp I do not have an 820R there, it is straight through to the second grid. I do however have a 680k resistor right before the grid of the third stage along with a 220k resistor to ground right before the 680k resistor...if that helps.

I went ahead and bypassed the 680k resistor with no change, and I then shorted right before the 680k to ground and that cut the volume in half. In fact there is a lowering of the volume when I short out the signal right before gain stages 2 and 3. When I do it right before 1 or after the coupling cap of 3 then it kills the signal completely. So I'm guessing somewhere between stage 2 and 3 I have a leak?
Old 25th January 2011, 06:01 PM   #10
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Hi nogood,

The exact schematic is probably the best way to solve this conclusively. Questions, wild stabs and try-this, try-that could go on for ages without it. Just sayin.

Scans of napkin drawings (or whatever you can do) are perfectly acceptable.

..Todd

Hide this!Advertise here!