• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

On or Off?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Leaving the amp on for ten hours a day without using it is an insane waste of energy and money. The filaments wear when they're on. But they're also stressed at start-up. With one start-up per day I bet the regular filament wear during normal operation of the amp is the dominant factor in filament, hence, tube life. I say turn the amp off when you don't need it.

~Tom

I often leave them on but it switches up. Balance between being warm and ready to rock, and saving tube life.... though start up cycles are stressful too... so it's a mix. Unless I have big tube gear in the rig, then it gets shut down. Like when I had a tube linestage into a tube crossover, running 2 stereo tubeamps....

That got almost always shut down)

You only consider tube life. The other components will deteriorate with higher temperatures, capacitors and insulation and of course the pilot lamps. And corrosion action accelerates. Not to speak of the energy wasted. Well, you aren't wasting it if it's winter but in the summer it's not a good thing.

I suggest that if you don't listen for at least a half hour, shut it off.

I'm using a tube amp in my Stereo/HT system. Between music and TV, the amp is on 14 hours a day. Would it be easier on the amp to just leave it on all the time? :scratch2:

Bobby Dipole

There ain't 14 hours a week of TV worth watching and most of what is worth watching does not need anything special for the audio. I would rethink your whole plan. Only use tubes for the best of the best!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.