• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

allen organ amp 75

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You only quoted the first half of the statement before he says he knows its a mono block so he needs another. There are no "DUHs" involved.

"Hello i just came into possession of this amp and know little about it can it be used as a stereo amp ,i know it is a mono block so i would have to find another one someday."

The answer is yes, it can be used as a stereo amp WITH ANOTHER CHANNEL.

What the hell is wrong with you? A stereo amplifier consists of 2 channels. A mono amplifier cannot be used as a stereo amplifier!

Why did you even leave a reply? NO DUH means I know WTF I am talking about!

How about "no ****" sherlock!

Last edited:
Rather than jumping on each other let's find out what the OP meant. I can read the question two ways.

- Can this be used as an amp in a hi-fi stereo system (with another for the second channel) even though it is an organ amp. In other words is it suitable for music reproduction as well as music production.

- Or Can this amp be converted to stereo?

I suspect that the first is the right answer but only the OP can enlighten us on that I suppose.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
"Stereo" is also a generic term for hi-fi (as opposed to an organ amp, a guitar amp or PA amp or whatever, in this context). It seems kinda obvious to me that's what he meant since he mentioned he knows it's a mono block and he would need another for 2 channels.

I call my 7.1 HT system a "stereo" too.

..Todd

Last edited:

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
So to add a little meat to this meal, here's a link to some info about this amp, and it looks like a great hi-fi restoration project, if you can find 2 such amps. Lots of great raw materials to work with.

transamz2000, you have a steep learning curve ahead of you if you're new at this. But it will be worth it, I'd say.

http://www.ee.vill.edu/~cdanjo/allen/a8/a8.html

..Todd

Last edited:
Sorry i caused so much confusion i meant would it be suitable for hi-fi applications,I have a st70 which was part of my learning curve with tubes and it has been modified to the hilt,it seems finding a match will be the hard part.I was lucky to find this as we say mono block and thanks to everyone for their input.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I think we need to choose the proper terms so no one will pick apart what we post!

I think we need to learn not to pick apart people's posts, or get emotional about such mundane topics. But of course that would take maturity, humility, leadership skills and so forth. Those are, despite rumors to the contrary, completely unrelated to, and only rarely co-exist with, engineering skills and academic accomplishment. ;)

I have a st70 which was part of my learning curve with tubes and it has been modified to the hilt,it seems finding a match will be the hard part.I was lucky to find this as we say mono block and thanks to everyone for their input.

Start restoring this one, and maybe by the time you finish it, you'll have found the second one.

..Todd

Last edited:
Sorry i caused so much confusion i meant would it be suitable for hi-fi applications,I have a st70 which was part of my learning curve with tubes and it has been modified to the hilt,it seems finding a match will be the hard part.I was lucky to find this as we say mono block and thanks to everyone for their input.

It would be a great hifi amp (with a mate). Those thing contained some incredible iron. AFAIK, the stock circuit is class B, to get max power out of the 6550s. To make the best use of it, you'd probably want to mod it a bit, and at least replace some old caps and rectifiers. It is an incredible find though. The transformers are the important parts. I almost had a pair once. Due to a misstep, they ended up becoming scrap iron. A very sad day.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.