• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choosing the right triode as a Phase Inverter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings everyone,
How does one choose the proper triode for a phase inverter? Here are the specs on a triode (6M11) I am considering:

Triode Class A Amplifier
Plate Voltage 125 V
Grid No. 1 from 120 Ω
Amplification Factor 58
Plate Resistance (approx) 10K Ω
Transconductance 8K µ
Plate Current 8 mA
Grid No. 1 Voltage for Ib of 50 µa -4.5 V

The 6M11 triode appears to be similar (higher gm, but same kind of curves) to a 12AT7. Should work well in an differential stage splitter (2nd harmonic cancels). The linear ramping gm curves will sum to a nearly constant gm.

Looks like maybe 4 to 9 mA should be linear (gm 100V curve curving badly above 9 mA and Mu 250V curve curving badly below 4 mA). So maybe 6 mA idle for each tube at 175 V actual plate voltage, using about 1 Watt plate diss. With 37.5 K load resistors (400V B+), a +/- 2 mA change would give +/- 75 volts change for a total of 150 V swing. A 1 mA change would give a total 75 V swing. A starting point anyway. Best way of course is to rig up a test stage with a varialbe B+ supply, variable load R, variable CCS tail and a sound card FFT to observe the results.

edit:
The 6M11 datasheet spec of 10K Ohm Rp at 8 mA appears to be incorrect. The GE manual gives 7250 Ohms at 8 mA. Mu = gm*Rp so that checks. The 37.5 K Ohm load resistors would then give around 5 X the Rp, an often used rule of thumb.

Last edited:
Below are two, basically identical constructions of LTP phase splitter I have used with good results. The first one having 300 V supply voltage can give some 70 to 80 Vpp drive with total THD below 0,5 %.

The tube I have used for this is 6N1P, but I assume ECC81 will also work fine.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The second circuit uses soviet 6N7S or similar USA type 6N7. It has 400 V supply voltage and can provide up to 100 Vpp drive with total THD less than 0,5 % when "fine tuned" to optimum.

Both circuits have variable resistor to balance the output voltages or to "match" the output voltage for differing gain of the output tubes.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sy,
Would you have a schematic you can post or send me?

Thanks,
Ray
rsumperl@hhk.com

Here's how I designed that same sort of phase splitter. Here, you have the DC coupling between a SE preamp, and the LTP splitter itself. DC coupling gives the CCS the necessary operating voltage, so done. No need to force AC balance with unequal resistors or pesky variable resistances that can't be adjusted without an o'scope anyway, and which just might fail in operation.

Attachments

• Vixen_Main.gif
    Vixen_Main.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 397
Ray, Miles's schematic is a good example. You don't even have to get that fancy with the CCS since the impedances at the cathode are pretty low.

I posted a couple months back a simple demonstration about the power of running a phase splitter with a CCS tail- I used grossly mismatched tubes (I think it was a 12AX7 and 6DJ8), yet the balance was perfect. It's the right way to do a long tail phase splitter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.