• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

passive bi-amping parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello, In the near future i need some small capacitors about 40 nanofahrad to make a 12 db 600 hertz filter at the input of my amps. There will be only little voltage. So what i need are c's that have good sonics and will keep their value during the next decades. I am afraid Audio Note will be not accurate enough or they must be willing to select them for me. Anyone has a suggestion what to use. For the lower part it will be in parallel and for the Tad 2001 it will be in series. Do i have to use identical types for both of them or not? thanks a lot, ed

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello SY, Strange to say maybe but i was thinking of Wima as not audio grade. But i think i will try some because maybe the very small value and physical dimensions ( i will choose a 63 volt version ) will reduce the influence on the sonics. Maybe the kind of capacitors that are used in riaa stages will do. i WILL WAIT FOR SOME MORE IDEAS AND REMEMBER THEM ALL. THANKS SO FAR, Ed

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The stacked polypropylenes from Wima (WKP or FKP) should work fine. Well constructed, stable, and good tolerances.

As do the ERO stacked polyprops...still I find them dated as far as their sound goes.

Maybe something to include into that cap/resistor shoot out, SY?

Maybe you should consider something a little more exotic...I mean it, there are much better caps out there without paying through the nose.

Edouard,

Ask Ger Fust from Fust Electronica to match the cap values you need.
If he isn't too keen, tell him I say hello...he will do it than...:mafioso:

Cheers and happy building,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

No, for The Test, I want your best shot, the ones you think will sound most different from cooking-grade.

To me they all sound different somehow, some more noticeably so than others.

There's a lot to be said in favour of the stacked films, which I don't consider to be cooking grade, BTW.
Could be the filmquality is not up to par, don't really know.

I've been having a fascinating discussion with some magicians on tamper-resistant box design. What clever measures/countermeasures there are!

At the end of the day, those who cheat are only cheating on themselves...

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

40 nano is not that easy to find in some more exotic brands.

True for most brands really.

I'd do it like this:

33nF + 2*4.7nF = 42.6 nF. or alternatively 33nF + 6.8nF = 39.8 nF.

Allowing for +/- 10 % tolerance it should be possible to arrive at a pair of 40 nF caps given a reasonable amount of stock at the dealer.

Cheers, ;)

Here's a pic of ML 32 phono stage. As we see, they use Wima too. Must be a good design, so the caps can't be heard;)

Attachments

• ml1.jpg
    ml1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 145
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
So you need "about 40nF," at low voltage. Fair enough. You have a choice of dielectric and a choice of conductive plate (sputtered metal or foil).

Dielectric faults: Dielectric absorption is an effect whereby although a charged capacitor may be momentarily short-circuited, its voltage climbs back up again. Not a good thing for audio. PTFE, polystyrene and polypropylene are good. Dielectric absorption tends to be related to "d". Some manufacturers actually give figure for dielectric absorption.

Plate faults: Sputtered (usually called "metallised") plates are much thinner, so they have higher ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance). It's difficult to see why high ESR should be a problem for coupling/filter capacitors, but it does seem to make an audible difference.

Traditional axial polystyrene capacitors connect the wire to only one point on the foil. All other constructions connect to every part of the foil, drastically reducing ESR and inductance.

Moral: Read the manufacturer's data very carefully. Every manufacturer has a range from "cost effective" to "suitable for sample and hold."

Edit: Polystyrene is the most stable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.