AuriCap - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2003, 05:00 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Best place for auricaps are probably Partsconnexion.com as Sparhawk pointed out.

I'm using them in my Jericho Horns as part of the Zobel network.
Works well. Doesn't seem to leave its mark on the music.
Old 24th July 2003, 05:05 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I liked them a lot, they're quite a bit better than the stock Bennics (IIRC).
FYI, Bennics are not so great... They're sold dirt cheap in a bin at my local electronics shop.

Any company that uses these is surely trying to cut corners.
Old 24th July 2003, 05:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well, of course. I think it's amazing that Joseph Lau managed to build and sell a pair of 6BM8 monoblocks that sound pretty darn good for $200. There's no doubt that he cut corners, but the point of this product was to give people a taste of tubes, not to build a high quality tube amp. And he is the first person to say that.
Old 24th July 2003, 05:42 PM   #14
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

This may be a little contentious, but it is my personal belief that design is far more important than component "quality".
I can cope with high ESR caps by parallelling, noisy diodes by filtering, wide tollerances by selection and tweaking. Other components by not driving them so hard.
Whether we get a good result or not therefore depends largely on how good the design is at accommodating for the component inadequacies. For let us not forget: all components have them.

In fact I still use the best components I can afford. But I don't agonize that there are better ones that I can't afford.

This is not intended to stifle debate. Of couse we want the best quality components.

Use the best design, and enjoy the music.
Old 24th July 2003, 06:19 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saurav
Well, of course. I think it's amazing that Joseph Lau managed to build and sell a pair of 6BM8 monoblocks that sound pretty darn good for $200. There's no doubt that he cut corners, but the point of this product was to give people a taste of tubes, not to build a high quality tube amp. And he is the first person to say that.

Sorry.. I didn't see that point.

I absolutely agree with you that to be able to sell a pair of monoblocks for $200 is quite amazing. It also presents a great opportunity for modding.

After reading some of Nelson Pass' articles and reading independent reviews of his commercial amps I'm quite amazed at how good design/engineering play a much more important role than "boutique parts". He makes some of the best solid state amps available and yet gets away with generic Panasonic caps and resistors.

Sure this is the tube forum so this isn't the place to talk about SS amps but this just illustrates a point.

Hide this!Advertise here!