diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Sn/Pb S-Sn/Cu ... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/181194-sn-pb-s-sn-cu.html)

tchiwam 15th January 2011 03:40 PM

Sn/Pb S-Sn/Cu ...

What is you opinion on using Sn/Cu instead of Sn/Pb. I am used to make my stuff with high temp Sn/Pb for automotive and transmitter stuff. But what about life without Pb ?

el156 15th January 2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchiwam (Post 2434292)
What is you opinion on using Sn/Cu instead of Sn/Pb. I am used to make my stuff with high temp Sn/Pb for automotive and transmitter stuff. But what about life without Pb ?

I much prefer to use Sn/Pb , but this days everything seems to be Pb free.....

M Gregg 16th January 2011 08:29 AM

Just for interest,

I try to keep clear of Pb for HIFI.

Cardas`s quad eutectic solder

HIFI collective!

:)

Regards
M. Gregg

CopperTop 16th January 2011 08:46 AM

In my experience the lead free stuff is awful to use compared to the good old 60/40 Sn/Pb stuff - it just doesn't 'flow' the same way. And flux-free is practically unusable if you ask me. For a while I thought I would have to stock up on the old lead stuff, but it is still readily-available - which may tell us something.

boywonder 16th January 2011 01:39 PM

leaded vs unleaded

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Gregg (Post 2435001)
Just for interest,

I try to keep clear of Pb for HIFI.

Cardas`s quad eutectic solder

HIFI collective!

:)

Regards
M. Gregg

Umm........Cardas Quad eutectic solder has lead in it. The Cardas lead-free stuff is tri eutectic.

I also use Cardas quad eutectic, solders like butter.

M Gregg 16th January 2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boywonder (Post 2435203)
Umm........Cardas Quad eutectic solder has lead in it. The Cardas lead-free stuff is tri eutectic.

I also use Cardas quad eutectic, solders like butter.

Hi,

Yes it has lead in it. The OP was asking about Pb solders and availability.:)

I use silver type solders, however the melting point is higher. The Cardas quad eutectic is the closest I can find to the same melt "wetting" as Audio note solder.
We are back to the discussion on metals and conduction / quality of joint ect. The tip of the soldering iron does not last long with Silver "no lead" solder.

Have you tried using other solders and had any sonic differences?

Just for interest,
If you look at how much solder you use in a project and the length of what you have used it is quite a lot in the conduction path!
It is in every connection.

Regards
M. Gregg

el156 16th January 2011 04:15 PM

Together with a 60/40 solder , i also use resin (soldering paste),and it makes a very nice joint.and looks nice!

Soonerorlater 16th January 2011 07:39 PM

I included non-rohs leaded multicore solder in my last order from Farnell ( about 6months ago) and had no trouble getting it.

I believe the nuclear power industry has a special dispensation to continue to use leaded solder on circuit boards as it has a proven 50 year+ track record of reliability. Lead free solder has a few years to go to equal that.

While demand remains for leaded solder, manufacturers I'm sure will supply.

DualTriode 16th January 2011 09:39 PM

Hello,
I believe there is a conspiracy to keep mother earth green!
The half life of consumer electronics is short so it does not take very long for the latest DVD player to end up as e-waste. That is the bulk of the thinking.
Vermont and California have outlawed anything more than 0.25% Pb in plumbing fixtures (pun intended); the US has outlawed lead in plumbing fixtures in 36 months. Just try to solder lead free valves (plumbing) with earth friendly lead free solder. The failure rate is high; the solder does not wet, capillary action is on vacation.
Buy up eutectic Pb/Sn solder for personal DIY use while you can.
DT
All just for fun!

Bandersnatch 17th January 2011 11:23 AM

hey-Hey!!!,
I've found the most critical thing to be flux. I like the Kester 44 rosin and it happens to smell good too...:)
cheers,
Douglas