Sn/Pb S-Sn/Cu ... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Doz is offline Doz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerorlater View Post
I included non-rohs leaded multicore solder in my last order from Farnell ( about 6months ago) and had no trouble getting it.

I believe the nuclear power industry has a special dispensation to continue to use leaded solder on circuit boards as it has a proven 50 year+ track record of reliability. Lead free solder has a few years to go to equal that.

While demand remains for leaded solder, manufacturers I'm sure will supply.
Medical Industry too...

I have no problems with the silver stuff, but it must be said, tip life is compromised, possibly due to the higher temp.
Old 17th January 2011, 03:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
hey-Hey!!!,
I've found the most critical thing to be flux. I like the Kester 44 rosin and it happens to smell good too...
cheers,
Douglas
Hello,
I agree flux can be key, the more active (acid) it is the better it works. Be sure to wash the flux off when you use Kester 44, it continues to work for years.
DT
All just for fun!
Old 17th January 2011, 04:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post

Just for interest,
If you look at how much solder you use in a project and the length of what you have used it is quite a lot in the conduction path!
It is in every connection.

Regards
M. Gregg
What is the distance (gap) between the two conductors in one of your solder joints? What is the "conductor length" of lead in each joint, between say a wire and a terminal it is wrapped or crimped around? What is the alloy composition of the finished joint between the conductors?

What's bad about lead bearing solder and Hifi?

PS I would not use acid flux in electronics because any residue at all will cause corrosion around the edges of the solder joint and, this from personal experience, will eat through stranded wire right at the edge of the solderblob in short order.

PPS Cardas QE (what's the OEM brand of that stuff?) is easily my favorite solder of all time.

Last edited by Michael Koster; 17th January 2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 17th January 2011, 04:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
"Pb free" is the requirement of Recyclonomics era, when everything is manufactured to be recycled. In the gear that is made to work forever it is not necessary. I spoke with people on AES who build optical compressors (cadmium salt, prohibited by ROHS as well as Bb), and they said, they require from customers to send the gear back for recycling, if they decide so.
Old 17th January 2011, 04:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Koster View Post
PS I would not use acid flux in electronics because any residue at all will cause corrosion around the edges of the solder joint and, this from personal experience, will eat through stranded wire right at the edge of the solderblob in short order.
Also, if the gear will work in tropics, even a plain organic pine rosin have to be carefully washed out: some microorganisms may find a home in your nice microphone preamp eating nice smelling flux and leaving aggressive excrements.
Old 17th January 2011, 05:21 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Well, then there's this issue. Nasa thinks enough of the subject to have a whole web-page on it.
Old 17th January 2011, 05:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearinspace View Post
Well, then there's this issue. Nasa thinks enough of the subject to have a whole web-page on it.
Thank you, good links. But for consumer market it is considered as a positive outcome: it keeps upgrades running. For example, in 2009 only in U.S.A. we had 2,000 Ton of e-waste, mostly cellphones and computer components. Such Pb-free production cleans market for new and new production. A hamster of Recyclonomics keeps running and spinning the wheel of progress!
Old 17th January 2011, 07:09 PM   #18
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Koster View Post
What is the distance (gap) between the two conductors in one of your solder joints? What is the "conductor length" of lead in each joint, between say a wire and a terminal it is wrapped or crimped around? What is the alloy composition of the finished joint between the conductors?.
-----------------------------------------
The joint should be metal to metal contact, the solder is just a glue.(Or should I say it should be)

Have you ever been sad enough to create a set of interconnects with "multicore" solder? Or created interconnects with nickle? Just for fun of course
What's bad about lead bearing solder and Hifi?
I used to use "multicore" solder all the time. I am not a fan of it now.

I am not against "lead" period! I think if it helps in small quantities then fine. Cardas is very good even excellent solder "wetting" is excellent.

I think its the alloy that is important not so much the large amounts of lead.
-----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
I have seen many PCB fail due to flux residue. It should be cleaned off. Interesting I have seen in industry the IC plated with tin as shown in the NASA post. It seems to be worse in some environments than others. It looks like someone has rubbed a pencil across the legs of the chip. Hard to get off as well! Also ultrasonic cleaning and coating did not stop it, only slowed it down about a week!
-----------------------------------
PPS Cardas QE (what's the OEM brand of that stuff?) is easily my favorite solder of all time.
------------------------------------

One final comment: "I am not a tree hugger", yes I have a classic car. I asked some one once what they thought of unleaded conversions, I was not a fan at the time. He said," I think if we can do something to help the environment then we should. (He was not selling conversions").

Then again if you like the sound of electrons and lead solder its been standard for years.

If it is so good then why are capacitors not made of lead foil and oil for high end ? Could it be that it dosen't sound very good?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 17th January 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 17th January 2011, 08:41 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Small amount of led" sounds to me like "small amount of feedback". Actually, 60/40 is selected for 240 degrees C of melting point: lower than melting points of components.

Here is some useful information:

Electronics Tips: Soldering Techniques

Speaking of why capacitors are not made from lead, it is because it has higher resistance than aluminium. They are made from copper that has lower resistance. But lead acid capacitors, certainly, are made from lead.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 17th January 2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:00 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Lead has something to do with plumbing so I will use a plumbing analogy.
The original water saver toilet was a 3.5 gallon flush, and then it was 1.6 gallon now the new California Green Code puts it at 1.28 gallons per flush. The first 3.5ís did not flush worth a crap. The 1.6ís are now working better. The point is that it takes the industry some time to get the lead out and for things to work.
Heat sensitive parts like the lower melting point of 60/40 or of a true eutectic solder (lowest Pb/Sn alloy melting point) 63/37. It is not that 63/37 has better electrical properties.
Plumbers liked 50/50 solder because it had a putty range, it starts to melt around 360 F and is not fully liquid until near 420 F. Get it sort of hot and push it around like hot glue. It fills up voids, does not run out and does not leak.
One more piece of trivia; before Bondo they used body lead, actually 90/10 solder that had a wide putty range. They could push it around with a trowel. Just like butter with a knife.
I know a guy that cast so many lead bullets that he is now shooting blanks (really).
DT
All just for fun!

Hide this!Advertise here!