• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

CCS plate follower 12bh7 schematic needed pls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
12BH7a PF

12BH7 preamp, 15mA CCS.

Attachments

• 12BH7_preamp_CCS_15mA.jpg
    12BH7_preamp_CCS_15mA.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 568
  • cCCS.jpg
    cCCS.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 510
If your electronic knowledge is very limited why do you think you need a CCS and anode follower? Is the CCS used to bias it (at the cathode) or load it (at the anode)?

What is the application? What gain and input impedance do you need?

Because my 1st srpp ptp that has gain of 6 is to high for my system

Someone told me that i need a simple stage. He also told me that ccs anode follower will sound better than the simple stage

Checking from web. from John Broskie's Guide to Tube Circuit Analysis & Design, Anode follower ia just adding another stage

http://www.tubecad.com/2007/05/blog0105.htm

I need gain around 2-3. Input impedance is not very important as the cap grom mu dac is big enough. Can handle any reasonable or normal input impedance

Thanks very much

Last edited:
Is this correct? (post #9)
Yes, that is an anode follower. It will have a voltage gain a bit below 10, and an input impedance a bit above 1K which is rather low for a line stage.

A simple anode follower with a gain of 2-3 is difficult to design, unless you are not too bothered about noise. This is because the feedback resistor and the input series resistor are in the ratio 1:2-3. This means that either the input resistor has a high value (which creates thermal noise) or both resistors are low which both loads the input and the valve. Having a low value feedback resistor negates the whole point of having a CCS load. I suppose a reasonable compromise is input 10K and feedback 22K.

I suppose the real question is: what is a good circuit for a low gain line stage?

hi DF96

so my best bet is using cathode follower?

as i am using an SS amp with gain of 2 give me a good range of volume control. however my tube pre though its gain is 6 floored this SS pre. hence that prompt me to build a tube pre.

i did some research that tube 26 give gain of 2-3. whats your opinion?

thanks,
erwin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.