• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Loud Noise due to NFB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just built the attached 6L6-GC SE circuit by JC Morrison with EF86 driver. When I first fired it there was a loud noise, so I checked the coupling caps. They were OK. What silenced it was by removing the NFB connection from the +ve side of the OPT secondary.

It is to be noted that in the published circuit the nfb is connected to a higher impedance than 8 ohm, presumably 16 ohm. My OPT secondary is only 0-8 ohm. What value of nfb resistor do you suggest I use instead of 8.2K? Do I go up or down in resistor value?

Thanks for your help.
Joe A

Attachments

• 6L6-GC SE UL JC Morrison.jpg
    6L6-GC SE UL JC Morrison.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 258
First you have to check if your global feedback is POSITIVE or NEGATIVE.
If the amp is unstable with NFB, you may try to swap the output wires from the OPT.
When you connect the feedback the volume should become lower.

The 8 instead of 16 ohm OPT means that you have a little less feedback (about 70% of the original with 16 ohm tap. You could then reduce the feedback resistor a little for the same feedback ratio. The optimal ratio should be determined by listening.

Svein.

Thanks, friends. I wired the output from the transformer exactly as specified by the manufacturer (Transcendar). I will swap the connections and see how it fares.

I have hooked the amp (without feedback) to my main (expensive) system and while the loud noise is not there, there is a noticeable hum with no program playing. I wired my grounds in star fashion and I'm not sure if this is also part of the incorrectly wired output transformer.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes with the swapped connections.

Thanks for your help.
JA

Thanks Svein and the other posters. For the sake of those who find themselves in the same situation I'm posting how I solved my problem/s. Well, basically it's all based on what you have said in your posts. Swapped the secondary OPT connections, increased the capacitance after the choke by 100uF and added a 100R resistor || with .22uF between the -ve PS wires and chassis ground. The amp is now very quiet with no noticeable hum. As to NFB I soldered a 39K || with the 8.2K resistor for a target 6K8. To my ears hi-freqs are a bit pronounced, but not obtrusive.

Svein wrote:
The 8 instead of 16 ohm OPT means that you have a little less feedback (about 70% of the original with 16 ohm tap. You could then reduce the feedback resistor a little for the same feedback ratio. The optimal ratio should be determined by listening.

OK I determined the value without any mathematical reasoning. I thought that reducing it to about 6.8K I would be more or less there. What I can't understand is why we reduce the feedback resistor to increase the feedback. Can someone provide a not-too-complex explanation, possibly with a rule-of-thumb formula.

Thanks, and best regards.
Joe A

I have hooked the amp (without feedback) to my main (expensive) system and while the loud noise is not there, there is a noticeable hum with no program playing.

The amp is now very quiet with no noticeable hum. As to NFB I soldered a 39K || with the 8.2K resistor for a target 6K8.

One and maybe most important reason that the hum disappeared is that the NFB is now "on". Asuuming the NFB is, say 18 dB, the hum level is also attenuated 18 dB compared to situation when NFB was "off".

To my ears hi-freqs are a bit pronounced, but not obtrusive.

Try to add a 470pF...1 nF capacitor in parallel to 6800 ohms NFB-resistor.
This will attenuate the top discants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonata149
Can someone provide a not-too-complex explanation

The feedback resistor forms a voltage divider with the unbypassed cathode resistor...

...and when the upper resistor of a voltage divider is decreased, the voltage at the junction of the cathode resistor and NFB-resistor is increased.
When this negative feedback voltage is increased at the cathode of the 1st. tube, the gain of the whole amplifier is decreased.

Thanks artosalo for your concise but comprehensive explanation. I'm learning things with every project I make (all of them had problems about which I posted here)!!! I will solder a 1nF across the 6K8 NFB resistor as with longer playing the HF is verging on slight distortion. My speakers are very revealing in the HF range (Yams NS-1000).

Best regards.

Trioding EF86 in JC Morrison's 6L6GC SE amp

Has anyone trioded the EF86 in this amplifier? In the original circuit the amp is quite sensitive and I wouldn't mind some attenuation to complement my preamp's output. I know I can bypass the preamp but I am quite happy with it.

Not being technical can someone please outline the specific procedure for triode operation - circuit diagram in post# 1.

What component changes need to be made? Is the negative feedback affected by such a change? If yes, how to go about it? The remaining sections I would suppose will remain the same, no?

Thanks for your patience with a complete layman in electronics.
Best regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.