Damage to valve amp when powered up but disconnected to speakers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2011, 01:17 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

You want to make sure that you have a proper load on the output while putting a signal through the amp. This will reduce the chance of blowing your output transformer.

Use a non-conductive rod (wood stick) to prod around to see if it changes anything. If you had a ground loop, I would expect it to increase in volume when you crank the amp. Maybe a bad output transformer. Please be careful while doing this.
Old 15th January 2011, 07:03 AM   #12
eeyore is offline eeyore  Australia
diyAudio Member

I disgust once, powered on a tube amp with no load. It caused soft sparking sounds from the output transformer and then the main PSU filter resistor when red hot. But after that, connecting the speakers back, everything was fine. Plays very well. However, in this amp that I built, I was able to check everything and make sure each component was still okay, bar the output transformer. From what I was told by the kit maker, oscillations leading to excessive current draw and hence the deistic turn heater. It make have damaged components that were near max spec. But in this case I used well overspecd components. But do have a check anyway.
Old 15th January 2011, 07:39 AM   #13
godfrey is online now godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavermei View Post
But this is only when you're actually playing loud music over the amp while its output is disconnected.
....or if the amp likes to oscillate with no load.

IMHO, damaged tubes or OPTs are likely to cause distortion, but not hum. Miles's suggestion that the hum could be caused by damage to the supply filtering seems more plausible.

[ot]
I once tried converting an EL34 PP amp to an AM transmitter by connecting a tuned circuit across the OPT, and adding a bit of feedback. The resulting oscillation was fierce enough to cause visible sparking on the transformer.

To my surprise the tubes survived the experiment, despite being left to hurt for several minutes while I wandered off down the road with a portable radio to check reception. I don't think the transformer was ever quite the same again though.
[/ot]

edit: oops, I missed eeyore's post. Seems like accidental oscillation is a very real possibility after all.

I can't help wondering why the designer didn't use a Zobel (or something) to make stability less load-dependent. Seriously. It can be done. In solid-state-land, you don't see stickers that say: "Caution, this amp may explode if the speaker is disconnected".

Last edited by godfrey; 15th January 2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 15th January 2011, 08:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
....or if the amp likes to oscillate with no load.
Yes, indeed. I overlooked that possibility. Such amps do exist unfortunately.
Old 15th January 2011, 09:02 AM   #15
eeyore is offline eeyore  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think that some of the designers of amps focus on the pursuit of purists and simplicity in design and thus things like zobel, output protection, muting, soft start, etc are often left out. But it does place more onus on the end user to be careful. Each to their own.

But also noticed that some of my tubes also make some noise during start up. Maybe it is the thermal stress and in rush of voltage. Metal - heat - expansion maybe?
Old 17th January 2011, 10:26 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thank you all again for the replies.

There was no evidence of OPTs suffering, and in absence of any means to test them, I've ruled them out.

Several posters have mentioned oscillations. Am I right to interpret that the disconnection of the speakers resulted in an infinite impedance which may have caused large swings in voltage in an attempt to drive current through that infinite impedance? Result being that any large swings in voltage may have taken some components outside their limits and therefore damaged them? I can understand this to an extent but even if volume is zero (i.e zero demand for current)?

Miles Prower suggested checking the filter caps for damage caused by overvoltage. Am I right to assume that these are the caps closest to the power transformer, perhaps directly after rectification (looking at amp circuit diagram I have to hand here)?

Thanks again everyone. I need to know more about what I'm looking for before I take the back off.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:10 AM   #17
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

All circuits have noise. As far as the circuit is concerned, this is the same as signal - it is only us who want to make a distinction. There will always be output, and this can sometimes be fed back to the input. This is what we call an oscillator.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I have had a situation where an amp came in for repair and it had a slight hum.There were some shorted turns of the primary of the OPT which was enough to unbalance the circuit to make the hum come through, replacing the TX (it was a EMI stereoscope so tx had to be rewound) cured the hum.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:17 PM   #19
Doz is offline Doz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprepairman View Post
I have had a situation where an amp came in for repair and it had a slight hum.There were some shorted turns of the primary of the OPT which was enough to unbalance the circuit to make the hum come through, replacing the TX (it was a EMI stereoscope so tx had to be rewound) cured the hum.
Easy to prove then , swap the opt's over and see if the hum goes with it.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:20 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Yup.

Hide this!Advertise here!